Question Coolant and Transmission fluid change!

Need some opinions on having the coolant and trans. fluid changed on my wives 2012 Nissan Rogue. We only have 21,192 miles on it but because it's close to 5 years I'm wondering if it's necessary. I have some 20 percent off coupons so I think it would be a good time to do it if necessary. Thanks!

2. Banned
    Transmission fluid at 21,000 miles? Not a chance!
    Coolant at 21,000 and 5 years? Refer to your owner's manual.

Well, my truck is almost 10 years old with 140,000 miles and still has the original fluids in both. Not idea by any stretch but leads me to believer yours are more than fine.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    most fluid changes are recommended at 100k miles.

21000 miles ---5 years old--- Who paid for it? You? Or a BBC member?

At 28K of towing, I changed the ATF and filter ( even drained the convertor). Flushed the brake fluid out also. But that's just me.

Also the anti freeze

6. Member
    I work at a Transmission plant....The work that is put into keeping contaminants out of the transmission during manufacturing is off the charts...The valve bodies are assembled in an actual environmentally controlled clean room..When you crack that tranny open you are taking a risk of allowing contaminents into the system..
    This is just my personal opinion but I wouldn't be in any hurry to change your tranny oil...With the special fluids out nowadays and the sophisticated circuits these transmissions aren't the same animals as they were years ago...There is alot going on to increase MPGs....I wouldn't be afraid of going to 100k miles..

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I work at a Transmission plant....The work that is put into keeping contaminants out of the transmission during manufacturing is off the charts...The valve bodies are assembled in an actual environmentally controlled clean room..When you crack that tranny open you are taking a risk of allowing contaminents into the system..
    This is just my personal opinion but I wouldn't be in any hurry to change your tranny oil...With the special fluids out nowadays and the sophisticated circuits these transmissions aren't the same animals as they were years ago...There is alot going on to increase MPGs....I wouldn't be afraid of going to 100k miles..
    Thank You! Sounds good to me ! I like getting the different opinions.

8. Member
    For most makes and models the Trans needs flushed at 30k miles and coolant at 50k miles or 5years. When you do a tray flush there is no need to drop the pan. The ol, filter change and fluid days are over. I would recommend any shop that uses BG additives.
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystonekiller View Post
    For most makes and models the Trans needs flushed at 30k miles and coolant at 50k miles or 5years. When you do a tray flush there is no need to drop the pan. The ol, filter change and fluid days are over. I would recommend any shop that uses BG additives.
    Now that's news! I haven't had a new vehicle in the last 15 years that recommended a tranny fluid change in under 100,000 miles.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Now that's news! I haven't had a new vehicle in the last 15 years that recommended a tranny fluid change in under 100,000 miles.
    I would find another dealer.
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

11. Banned
    I would find another dealer.
    No, I would have to find a different owner's manual.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    No, I would have to find a different owner's manual.
    What ever it takes
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

13. Member
    I'm going to have to check but I think my Super Duty manual says 150k miles..

14. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Filters 16 quart tranny change at 50,000
    on my 2005 f-350 dually diesel have 98,000
    on it now, this time just gonna have my guy use
    that machine sucks out old oil pumps in new.

15. Member
    Sounds like a BG salesman.

16. Member
    Old coolant conducts electricity and eats away head gaskets in some engines. It also doesn't lube the water pump as well along with not protecting the metal.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

17. Member
    Using a pela extractor every couple years to pull out a few qts of trans fluid has worked wonders.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded