Dogfish_Jones

Best jackplate for a Z7

I'm thinking I might want to install or have a jackplate on my Z7, I have the Mercury ProXS 150.
    Anyone got one on their Z7? Is so what kind is it, 6"-10"? About what was the cost. Did you have a boat shop install it?
    How much differance did you notice after you put one on?

Thanks,

2. Member
    I have a nitro z7 with the 175. I put a hydrodynamic 6" magnum on it and made a huge difference. I had it installed I think it was couple hours labor. U will be very happy

3. Member
    I've got a z7 , with the same motor and I have a 10" ordered . I've done a lot of research and looked at a lot of speed numbers and everyone that had a 10 was well satisfied at the performance of it

4. Member
    I've got a 2015 Z7 w/175 pro xs. It's got 6"slidemaster manual. Had boat for 2 weeks until jackplate came. Made big difference. Wish I got hydraulic

5. Member
    I purchased a Vance JPL 4500 6" set back with the black powder coat, made a big difference once it was dialed in. 2015 Z7 w/175pro XS. Hole shot is quicker, the boat handles better, and picked up around 4 mph. I am very happy with it. Put it on about 6 months after purchasing the boat. My dealer charged me $100 for the install, so all in less than $400.

6. Dogfish_Jones
    I like the Vance 4500 and the price. Do you have to drill any extra holes into the hull to install it or they match up?

7. Member
    I got the 10" installed Friday and I can tell you it made a huge difference in my boat. I picked up 4mph and boat handles great now.

8. Member
    Whats everyone running for height level, pad to prop distance on there Z-7? I have 8" slide master on it recently and still trying to tune it. Problem I have is watching my water pressure gauge, runs between 10-12 WOT 5800 rpm, 59mph GPS myself, gear, half tank of fuel. When live wells filled, hole shot is terrrible. Do the plugs in prop being removed do anything?
    2010 Z-7 Mercury 150 Optimax,
    Keel guard, pro trim,
    Humminbird Electronics
    Western Mass.

9. Member
    My Vance bolted right up. The powder coat finish is an exact match with Merc black and is very tough. I'm running mine very close to 3.25 PTP with a Tempest 23p. I normally run around 3800-4500' above sea level depending on where I'm at and I get 57-59 mph at 5750-5800 with me, Dad, and the tackle. When it's hot out it runs about 55 mph at around 5500-5600 rpm. On plane time is very quick unless the wells are full.

10. Dogfish_Jones
    I'm running a Tempest 24 right now, but I'm running Gps around 62mph, this is with no JP. I can hit close to 58 full tank, and tackle everywhere in every compartment. Yea...I'm an addictive to having everything in every color. I think I'm up to 33 or so boxes full.
    Im running a Mercury ProXS 150 on a 2015 Z7.
    Smooth water speed.
    I just want to get a better hole shot and hopefully better ride when it does get choppy.

11. Member
    I just took a 6" slide master off of my 2011 Z7 with the same engine and replaced it with a hydraulic Bob's. Needed hydraulic for the added weight of my talons. My slide master will be for sale once I can get some pics of it.
    2019 Nitro Z20 Pro
    2019 Mercury 250hp V8 ProXS 4S
    Navy Veteran 1982 - 2008

12. Member
    I put scoops on, solved all the wp issues holds 24. best i had was 14 without them after plate...

I put the Vance 6inch plate on mine, have been extremely happy with it. It will make the boat handle better, and hole shot quicker. I still needed to mess with the plugs in the prop though, probably due to altitude (like Wales above I run over 4000 ft all the time; @ The Butte) I still got something goin on, cant get the RPM's over 5400, but working with the plate and prop helped to get t where its at now.

14. Member
    Hydrodynamics 6" Magnum. Much improved hole shot and gained 2 mph.

15. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales View Post
    I purchased a Vance JPL 4500 6" set back with the black powder coat, made a big difference once it was dialed in. 2015 Z7 w/175pro XS. Hole shot is quicker, the boat handles better, and picked up around 4 mph. I am very happy with it. Put it on about 6 months after purchasing the boat. My dealer charged me $100 for the install, so all in less than $400.
    I was thinking of getting the JPL 4500 and have my local BPS install it. They told me that that jackplate would not fit my 2015 Z7 and they would not install it. Now it may well be they sell Slidemasters JP for twice as much. Plus it will be $200 plus parts for them to install it.
    So, now my question is, do I buy the JPL and find another shop, or pay about $400 more to have BPS install one of theirs?

16. Member
    the 150hp optimax 10-12psi is sufficient at WOT, try to keep it 12-15psi. If you can't get at least 10psi lower the trim and/or motor OR you need a new impeller.
    2010 NITRO Z7

I bought a 10" Atlas right after I installed my Talon I put the Up/Down switch in my horn button slot.. it works really well

All JP's should line up with the holes, that's a non issue. I will tell you a 6" is the best value, if u want to mount PPs or Talons maybe u want an 8". A 6" should get you same performance gains as a 10", one just costs more and may cause you to upgrade your steering system, if u don't have hydraulic steering..
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team