Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Yamaha SHO or Honda 4 Stroke 225 or 250?

Have any of you dealers or any of you guys ever seen or heard of a side by side comparison (holeshot and topspeed) of these 2 on same Charger or Elite 210? I am really wanting a 198 when they come out. I've always been a Yamaha guy with zero major problems. Figured I'd put a 225 SHO on the 198. But, it just seems there's still a few bugs to be worked out. Everything I keep hearing about these Honda's is they're bulletproof and run forever. This may be my last boat. So, I'm obviously looking for longevity and reliability. Thanks for all input.

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    If its longevity it's Honda speed sho but in reality might not be much difference.

3. Banned
    Flip a coin... Then go best outa 5... Then go best out a 7... Then... No one can guarantee you anything other than one day you'll be pushing daisy's... Get what you want and enjoy... But have you get a... Dan

4. Member
    Go with the SHO unless you have a good Honda dealer base in your area, then like Dan said "flip a coin"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    If its longevity it's Honda speed sho but in reality might not be much difference.
    And THAT'S why I was wondering if any of the dealers had rigged 1 of each on same hull. Figured SHO may be a little faster. Just wondering how much and any other diffs. Thanks.

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The Honda I have never heard of making oil and the dealers in our area swear by Hondas track record .I know that Playcraft rigs a lot of toons with hondas ever since 2000 era . I when I was looking for a playcraft it was Honda that I wanted .Just seems like a big heavy toon gives a outboard a work out and the Honda just seems a good fit.

7. Member
    Thanks Mr. TOC. Like I said, I've always been a Yamaha guy. Owned 3 different 200hp engines-1990, 1995 Pro V, 2002 HPDI. All been bulletproof. Really been considering the SHO. But, besides the earlier problems, and trying to get the rings seated, now I hear that up around 2 to 3 hundred hours the coating in the cylinders are starting to flake off. Not really heard that on here yet. But, probably not many at those hours yet. Except for Honda, and what I've heard about them on here, no way I would trust another except Yamaha. Just trying to get you all's opinions before the 198 comes out. That's why I would like to hear from a dealer that's compared both on same hull to see the numbers. I plan to talk to Kelly Powers about this next time I talk to him. Thanks.

8. Banned
    These new motors make me wish that the yami OX66 was still around!

9. Banned
    Their are a few around you just need a big check book to pry it out of the owners hands

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Their are a few around you just need a big check book to pry it out of the owners hands
    Not so!!!
    I have a 2017 797, loaded out I'll be selling in the spring for 50k.
    Just have to be a smart shopper!! And timing is the key!!

11. Member
    When I repowered my rig I went suzuki because of the warrantee. To me I wanted coverage as long as possible. Might look at cost and warrantee options as well when considering them. If I were keeping it 3 years and selling I'd not worry so much,but if you keep it a while a good warrantee and reliability over speed may be the ticket. My 250ss is no slug, and I doubt the Honda is one. I'd try to find some owners with both and get a ride with them.
    Last edited by procraftokie; 07-24-2017 at 06:28 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Not so!!!
    I have a 2017 797, loaded out I'll be selling in the spring for 50k.
    Just have to be a smart shopper!! And timing is the key!!
    Being sponsored and getting "a deal" never hurts either! But that does fall under "smart shopper" I guess...

13. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesboats View Post
    Being sponsored and getting "a deal" never hurts either! But that does fall under "smart shopper" I guess...
    I would think buying a demo boat, old or close out inventory, or a genteelly used boat is smart shopping!!

I would think you would make a better deal on a boat on your floor verse writing up an order for a new boat for a customer, if not now in a few months from now!

Oh course you only get the boat they have and maybe not the boat you WANT!!
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 07-25-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Only buy the Honda if you don't care about top end speed and you want maximum reliability...It's a fine motor but the slowest 250 on the market...

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    Only buy the Honda if you don't care about top end speed and you want maximum reliability...It's a fine motor but the slowest 250 on the market...
    So, what you're saying is....that although you will be getting passed by other boats, you'll still be on the water fishing while they are getting their boats fixed at the dealership?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    I wouldn't argue that. I'm sure my Honda is not as fast as some. I'm lucky enough to live on the lake, and over the years I've towed nearly every make of boat and motor back to the ramp, but not one Honda. I can only get 70 mph on my loaded 797, but it is a big boat. I just really like the confidence that I have when I turn the key at 2 am that I am going back to my slip. Gets kinda lonely late at night on Old Hickory Lake. There's a reason the Coast Guard uses them.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    So, what you're saying is....that although you will be getting passed by other boats, you'll still be on the water fishing while they are getting their boats fixed at the dealership?
    And THAT'S exactly why I'm seriously considering Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I've had 3 x Mercury Pro XS, 2 x Evinrude G2, 1 Yamaha SHO, and 1 Honda BF250...None of them have ever cost me one minute of fishing time...Generally speaking though the Honda will out live all of these motors. It's a quality motor for sure. No one is disputing the reliability of the motor.

19. Banned
    And my Mercury 250 Pro XS and towed it's share of makes and model also... A pontoon with a 115 Honda last weekend... They all break, even Mercury... Buy what you want and thump your chest afterward... Dan

20. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I don't think anyone has ever played with props set backs engine height etc on a Honda .I do know my playcraft 2700 is running upper 40s and that's in the 100 degrees and 90 degree water with a stock mirage 17 pitch prop .I don't think a 250 verado is any faster on the 2700 .Iam betting a tempest with a little work and a cooler day this Honda will haul ass.Play craft also allows a hydraulic plate which could get interesting.So far I like the Hondas performance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast