Center step on 09 Cougar FTD

I bought my 2009 Cougar FTD used a couple of years ago. Something has always stuck out to me but I've never seen any evidence to satisfy my curiosity. The center step between the seats has what appears to be a plastic cafeteria tray strapped under the lid to form the seal around the cooler compartment. Is this how this boat was originally configured or is this some ghetto fix performed by the previous owner? Can anyone provide pics of how this compartment is supposed to look? I would love to have the storage compartment that comes on the newer model Cougars. Is it possible to retro fit my 09 with this lid? If so, how much would that run me? Thanks for the help.

the cafeteria tray is factory. My 08 and 2010 boats were same way. kind of odd seeing it but works though

3. Member
    The center step you are referring to was an option that allowed one to place the throw cushion in the gap.
    The center step compartment was another option, and is still available for your boat.

The price is approx 135.
    Link to the BCB web site store for the step box:
    http://www.basscatstore.com/carpetedstepbox.aspx
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. It just sticks out to me as the one item that is not "Basscat Quality" in fit and finish on the entire boat. I will save my coins to upgrade to the carpeted step that catmantwo sent the link for. That to me looks clean and purposeful like the rest of the boat.

5. Member
    Here is a link to a discussion about the fiberglass box from bass cat - it was a standard feature on boats prior to 2011.
    Not the primary response from BC.
    http://basscatowners.yuku.com/reply/...ep#reply-92045
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

6. Member
    Thank you catmantwo. Now this makes more sense. BCB was simply responding to one of the thousands of stupid government regulations that exist because a bureaucrat is doing all he can to try to replace the common sense that isn't too common anymore but missed the mark. As is typical.