Depth reading issue

Helix 12 DI g2n. My bow graph is saying I'm in much deeper water than I actually am. I can see on the 2d sonar I'm in like 10 ft and it's a spot I know very well so I know it's 10ft. The depth reading on my readout says I'm in 200? My last 1198 would do that as well. Any suggestions? I've messed with lower reading and would put on auto and I've tried other settings. Not sure what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by laposta28 View Post
    Helix 12 DI g2n. My bow graph is saying I'm in much deeper water than I actually am. I can see on the 2d sonar I'm in like 10 ft and it's a spot I know very well so I know it's 10ft. The depth reading on my readout says I'm in 200? My last 1198 would do that as well. Any suggestions? I've messed with lower reading and would put on auto and I've tried other settings. Not sure what's going on?
    I was just getting ready to post the same question so I guess I'll just follow this one.

I have a Helix 10 SI GN2 on the bow. It consistently reads about 10' deeper than the old Lowrance 520c in the dash. Seems to favor reading out 17 to 20 feet no matter what the depth. This seems to correspond to the 2D and DI depth reading on the screen. Doesn't have any affect from the TM or the other sonar.

When I get in the thick shallow grass it goes completely crazy with depth readings or 900 to 1200 feet. I understand that.

I have played with just about every setting I can think of.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    It has been talked about lightly on here. I just talked with a pro who stated Humminbird is aware of the issue and they are working on a update for the new units. IT IS AN ISSUE no matter what you hear. Now lets hope it gets fixed quickly.

4. Member
    Mine does the same thing also, I have a helix12 g2n di and anything below 10ft it gets crazy with the depth reading! My 2d and di screen also shrinks and then expands back out to normal view!

5. Member
    Have the same problem.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

6. Member
    Does anyone know if the same happens with last years models? How about 2D with the different DI or SI transducers?

7. Member
    What is happening here is kind of strange, but explainable...

The sonar pulse is bouncing between the bottom, and the surface of the water.
    Each time the pulse makes a "cycle" the "bottom" gets deeper, deeper, and deeper.
    In shallow water the pulse is very strong so depending on the bottom type almost all that energy is reflected back up.

Ways to deal with this are...
    Set the maximum sonar depth only slightly deeper then the lake. Prevents insane readings...
    Change your sonar frequency to 200KHz
    Decrease the surface clutter setting. Lower number.

8. Member
    My helix 12 gen 2 is doing the same thing. I sent it back to Humminbird and they sent it back and said there was nothing wrong with my unit. So I hooked it back up and it is doing the same thing. So for the 2nd time I am sending it back again. I know it is wired right because one of humminbird techs came to where i bought my boat and rewired what the factory had wrong. Their power connection for the helix is junk also. In big water the units will cut off. I probably would not buy another helix just for that reason. The solix has screw in connections.

9. Member
    I am no expert but have had sort of the same issue and what I did to help the weird readings is turn the sensitivity down to 4 on the 2D and turned up surface clutter to 6 and it seems to help some. I'm still getting double bottom readings but the depth readings are better in shallow water . The lake I fish has a REALLY hard bottom mostly compacted clay and stone and I have noticed that I can turn down the sensitivity on si,di,2D, and 360 and still get a good picture I've read somewhere on here that these g2n helix chirp units run "hot" . From my 3 months of experience with my mega 10 I believe they do.

10. Member
    Without being an A-hole, Shouldn't these types of problems be figured out before a new product is brought to market? I want options with sensitivity, Clutter, etc. I dont want to be stuck with one setting in order to "make it work". The problem needs to be addressed.

11. Member
    That seems common place these days with a lot of products and services. Has Humminbird acknowledged there is a problem?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

12. Member
    No, but I called in and they said I should install the new update. I know what your thinking, "how can they continue to come up with a line of B.S. every time someone calls in? Especially when there is an obvious problem? My answer: I have no clue. They act like your the first person to call in with this issue. I know of several other people that have called in with this issue and still we wait. Im going to hook up one of my old lowrance units just to compare the two.

13. Member
    As long as we consumers continue to buy no company will change. The rush to get the latest and greatest to market over rules everything else. One would think turning say 10 real fishermen loose with prototypes would solve the vast majority of software problems. I really doubt any of the major manufacturer's do this. Rather in very controlled conditions engineers put prototypes what they believe to be " normal " use. Hence almost all modern units need an update within 6 months of hitting retail market.

Not picking on any one company as they are all equally guilty. It does really suck to have to wait for a 1000-3500 unit to perform as advertised. Don't know what the cure is. But I never understood why the makers didn't release model simulators to run on computers. Much like Lowrance did at one time and may still for all I know.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig