Old Hickory Lake ?

OK guys, I need some help. Here's a little background for starters. I'm originally from Kansas. That means I have very limited experience on river run lakes like Old Hickory or TN river lakes. I've been here about 3 or 4 years and have figured out some things better than others.

I just read an article by Gregg Hackney in BASS TIMES where he was discussing fishing river type lakes. This got me to thinking about some of my questions and experiences on Old Hickory.

The type of situation I would like info or experience is primarily found in the upper end of Old Hickory. I am talking about upstream of Flippers and hwy 109. Let me try to describe the type of place I'm talking about.

Once you get out of the main river there are basically 2 different kinds of water. One type is the major creeks such as Barton's, Bledsoe, and Spring. The other type is what appears to me to be sort of low lying flooded backwaters. These areas are kind of like flats. Best I can tell they have muddy bottoms in general and are usually shallow as in 6' or less and usually 4' or less. In some instances there may be some hard bottom spots and a few rock outcroppings but as a whole they are shallow flats where the water has backed up.

There is also a 3rd type of water such as a mid depth hollow or cove.

The second type area is the one I want info on. Many of these type areas present a challenge to invade very far past the entrance because of lack of depth. Some of them may have a bit deeper water in some spots once you get back in there .

Are there bass back in these muddy backwater flats around the laydowns and such or is it just all dead water ? If there are bass back there would that hold true for pretty much all year or only certain times ?

I have been back in a few in spring and summer and have seen shad and minnow and carp in there but haven't really caught many bass from this kind of water. If I was choosing to focus on this type of water I would pick a location where it is open on both ends thus letting water flow through as opposed to one open only on the lower end and just being flooded with backwater.

Are these areas that are worthy of spending time in ?
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    I'm with you though I don't fish the upper end much. I have ventured in these areas before, especially when I see shad popping around. My results have been disappointing. However, my sample size is small so it may just be bad timing. At this point though, no confidence in these areas.

3. Member
    Thanks. The water back in those areas appears to be primarily stagnant , so I wonder if that is a major negative.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    Any pocket/cove with cover is worth fishing. Plenty of fish remain shallow all year, provided they have cover. Upstream from Bledsoe, the dogleg pocket on the right behind the small cut in the western bank, along with the pocket west of the big island. Don't pass on any cover along the western edge of the island leading down to the bottom tip. Past Spring Creek there is Saunders Branch on the left and the creek on the corner as the river turns north. Further upstream is Armstrong Island and the creek complex on the Eastern side at the top of the island, along with the lower tip of the island itself (typically lots of wood). Then Little Cedar Creek on the right just past the 231 bridge.

5. Member
    All those creeks have a decent frog bite early. If I'm fishing up that way I'll usually launch at Bledsoe SP then run up river. Start fishing at sun up and I'm typically home by lunch. I moved here from Indiana and this is my 3rd summer. I'm finally starting to learn some things.
    Basscat!

6. Member
    I've fished the hick for 40yrs, guided on it many times. There's no proven method for that lake. Just plan on starting every day like your on a different lake. I will tell you they love the mud in the dog days,but don't get burned by the drops when they pull water. Shallow fish? Biting shallow? Hit or miss. Look me up on facebook. Smilin Dan'ls tips & techniques. Maybe it'll answer some of your questions.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilin Dan'l View Post
    I've fished the hick for 40yrs, guided on it many times. There's no proven method for that lake. Just plan on starting every day like your on a different lake. I will tell you they love the mud in the dog days,but don't get burned by the drops when they pull water. Shallow fish? Biting shallow? Hit or miss. Look me up on facebook. Smilin Dan'ls tips & techniques. Maybe it'll answer some of your questions.
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't do facebook but appreciate the offer. From what I've been able to experience those backwaters that are only open on one end are stagnant. I've never done much good in those areas unless it was open on both ends with water flowing through.
    GETFISHED !!!