Etec cold starting issue

The motor is a 2007 Etec 250.

The first start every morning I have to start it 4-5 times before it idles. But once running it is fine for the entire day even if I shut it down for a few hours. It seems as though its just not getting gas off a cold start, it turns over then stalls within seconds. If I give it a little throttle I can usually start it in 2- 3 starts and let it warm up a bit and its fine through the rest of the day. This just started happening last week.

It has run flawlessly thus far. So far I have checked the fuel primer bulb, I have never needed to pump it but I did anyway before starting and still the same issue, it only took 3 pumps than was rock hard. I have also tried to "prime" the fuel system, by turning the ignition on, letting the fuel pump prime all the way then I switch it back off, repeating this three times before engaging the starter and still the same issue.

Anyone run into this problem before? Also what else should be checked?

Check the gap on the plugs, Too wide a gap will cause those symptoms. Has the Exhaust pressure sensor been cleaned, a dirty sensor will also cause those symptoms.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danrude View Post
    Check the gap on the plugs, Too wide a gap will cause those symptoms. Has the Exhaust pressure sensor been cleaned, a dirty sensor will also cause those symptoms.
    I will check that exhaust sensor next, but if the sensor is the problem why wouldnt it give me starting issues every start not just once?

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    The exhaust pressure sensor is not accessible being physically located on the EMM.

What possibly might need checking/cleaning is the fitting which routes the sampling of exhaust pressures to the EMM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    The exhaust pressure sensor is not accessible being physically located on the EMM.

What possibly might need checking/cleaning is the fitting which routes the sampling of exhaust pressures to the EMM.
    Thats what I figured he meant, the fitting that the hose attaches too; but why would this only affect it on initial start up and not a reoccurring problem throughout the day?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'd definitely check the plugs first, gap should be .028" tight. And possibly think a lift pump in your future.

I am not sure why these motors will exhibit the problem on the first start of the day and not as the day go on, perhaps a tech that has studied these motors knows the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP44 View Post
    I will check that exhaust sensor next, but if the sensor is the problem why wouldnt it give me starting issues every start not just once?
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    On my 03, she ever started doing that the plugs were changed and usually fixed it. If the exhaust pressure fitting has never been cleaned, I''d put a new one in and clean the other for later....Plug gap will usually cause this problem if excessive gap, but that little fitting needs attention too. JMHO

9. Member
    My 225 etec did the exact same thing and somebody on here suggested to use x100 oil instead of x50 which makes no sense but I did and it hasent quit on me the last month. Might try if your using the blue oil.

10. Member
    Just went thru this with my friends 2006 225HO ETEC. He was having starting issues and idling issues. We put new plugs in it and indexed them. Pulled the pans and check the cooling system for the EMM and VST and removed the exhaust pressure sensor. His sensor had never been serviced and the whole end was burnt off. Went to the shop and got a new one and installed it. We took the boat fishing today. The motor ran like a sewing machine. Started every time and ran strong.