Thread: Skeg paint

Skeg paint

I have a question for someone who might know. I am in the process of looking for a boat and have looked at to many to count. My question is why do you sometimes see a boat with 50 hours on it and the paint is half off the skeg and then you see one with 150 hours and know paint missing. Does fishing location play the biggest part . I know they aren't hurt. Just wondering.

Fishing location is huge. Guys that primarily fish rivers, etc are alot more prone to scuff them up. And then theres guys that just dont care!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
    I have a question for someone who might know. I am in the process of looking for a boat and have looked at to many to count. My question is why do you sometimes see a boat with 50 hours on it and the paint is half off the skeg and then you see one with 150 hours and know paint missing. Does fishing location play the biggest part . I know they aren't hurt. Just wondering.
    I personally would be a little bit worried is one had all the paint missing with low hours. Odds are they operated the motor in shallow/sandy water and would have done some minor damage to the water pump or thermostat by sucking up some sand/mud. Just my .02
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    E-TEc skegs can quickly have little no trace of skeg paint......it doesn't last long fishing shallow water reservoirs. Not an indicator of engine abuse at all. If we couldn't lose skeg paint, couldn't run E-TECs.

Such boats benefit from a water pressure gauge which can assist owners to reduce the number of related high temp alarms. These will show on the engine's history report but even if they occur, the EMM is setup to well protect itself and the engine from actual damaging overheats.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 07-23-2017 at 07:58 PM.

5. Member
    It can happen to anyone .I went 30 plus years with very little .Last week was coming out a small creek channel last week some sand had washed in I hit .Shut down wile trimming up and killed the motor.1" of paint about 6" long came off .I have always thought people was careless .But now I know it don't take munch.

Paint coming off your skeg is normal wear. The all do it. Doesn't mean motor was abused or beat up in any way
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade