Mercmonitor NMEA 2K setup Question

Hi All, first time poster. I'm in the process of installing a Level 3 MercMonitor in my Searay and am also installing a NMEA 2K backbone to get data from my MercMonitor to my Raymarine MFD. I bought my stuff from Don and was very helpful. I'm installing this weekend and was in the process of wiring my NMEA 2K backbone power to a toggle switch on my dash and just realized i have a switched power relay in my system and one relay is for the gauges which do not come unless the ignition is switched on. I was thinking it would be a lot easier just to power the NMEA backbone on the 12v coming off the ignition relay as there will never be a reason to have the NMEA backbone powered when the gauges are not? Also, i also turn the ignition off so no risk of battery drain. Does this make sense or am I missing something? Its clear that the NMEA backbone needs switched power but tying into to this switched relay would be a lot easier than wiring a new switch to the dash and simpler operation also (unless I'm missing something :) )

Many thanks!

2. Member
    I run my NMEA from a relay that is DEDICATED to ALL onboard electronics.
    Last edited by Savage; 07-23-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I run my NMEA from a relay.
    Many thanks Savage for the quick reply. This was the response I was hoping for since I have already wired it this way :)

4. Scraps
    Yeah, whatever is easiest. It's such a small power draw it doesn't matter where you get it from. I have mine off of a spare accessories switch.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Interesting is that my Raymarine MFD was installed by MarineMax when i bought the boat. They did not switch the MFD aside from being able to switch it off with my battery on and off. Shouldnt they have connected the MFD off the ignition relay like the other gauges? Seems a bit odd that it is set to come on when the battery comes on even when the ignition is off.