Cranking deep open water suspended bass?

How many crank for bass suspended in baitfish in open water? Lots of fish here are 20 to 30 feet deep in bait over 40 to 50 feet of water & not really relating to any structure other then the bait itself. Would a 6xd be good for this? Thanks

2. Member
    In cases where fish are suspended like that, I usually prefer an underspin, swimbait, hair jig, spoon, or scrounger head. I've never had luck with a crankbait on suspended fish. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that I've personally never had success that way.

3. Member
    BigBass94, been using hair jigs, but it's been smallmouth & you need some largemouth in the mix here to win & most largemouth have been caught cranking. The fish were heavily suspended on Friday night everywhere we went. Thanks

I think one issue you might run into is the size of the bait. Around here at least, unless the "bait" is suspended crappie or sunfish, most of our baitfish aren't that big. In Kentucky I'm sure that's different, but just something to keep in mind.

I've had some luck drifting a drop shot or swim bait at whatever depth I've marked the fish at when the wind is blowing. This is also the only way I've reliably caught crappie in the summer around here with our lack of brush, though that's getting off topic. You could probably "video game" them up with a drop shot or damiki rig as well if it's calmer.

I've not had a lot of luck casting for them as it's much more difficult to keep the bait at the right depth. The crankbait would at least give you a consistent and predictable depth.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    If they are spotted bass, try large spooks in the middle of the day. They will come up from 30' to nail them.

6. Member
    6 & 10 xd is what's been the ticket here. Some say bumping bottom & some claim open water in the shad that are suspended in open water following bait & most of that is around 20 to 25 feet over 40 feet of water. Would a spoon be a better way to try to catch them if the dropshot doesn't work? Thanks
    Last edited by Les Young; 07-25-2017 at 03:23 PM.

7. Member
    Try a drop shot with a fluke.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E