Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    People are idiots, its that simple. I am 34, but was taught respect and courtesy at a very early age. I fish a large team trail here in Oklahoma and earlier this year was cut off during take off. I have 119 Ranger that's pretty fast, but not the best rough water boat and it was a little rough. Me and another boat were coming up on a fork in the river and a guy was following me behind on my right. I wasn't really on any fish and decided to back off the throttle a bit to let him pass as I figured he'd go up the fork to the right. NOPE! He passes me and cuts not more than 20 feet in front of me at 70 mph and goes up the left fork! It was like getting sprayed in the face with a fire hose. I just hope I never see the guy ever again as to keep myself out of trouble!

Idiots on the water ain't nothing new, 15 years ago was fishing a big tournament on Ky Lake and coming out of the canal going into Barkley had a boat cut in front of me within 20 to 30 feet. Luckily it was misty when we took off and we had put our rain gear because he threw enough water in the boat to kick on the bilge pump. Talk about a rough start to your day, it took me an hour to calm down enough to not want to just drive around and find the guy and I'm a real easy going type person.

3. Member
    In Maryland you have to complete a boater safety course to legally operate a vessel. Now it doesn't completely eliminate the jerks but at least most are informed on safe passing distances, navigation and important rules like what side you should pass an approaching vessel on. Do other states require safety courses?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    Seems like it gets worse every year and I dont know if its just plain ignorance or the fact that they just dont care.
    They just do not care

Nebraska requires testing if you are born after 1985, or something like that. It's like anything, the idiots will screw it up for everybody else. Boating is minimally regulated in comparison to other things, but that won't last at the rate things are going. At some point the government will be required to step in and protect these people from themselves.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    I don't know if it's people not learning properly... I bought my first boat 2 years ago. No training, family has never owned one, and only learned from reading online. That said I think boating etiquette is common sense an people are just more ignorant and self-centered in life in general.

7. Member
    When's the last time anyone heard a peep about boating etiquette or safety on ANY televised show, event, other? I haven't ever seen it discussed, but I also don't watch religiously. It seems to me that between all the actual pros and "experts" that can speak to a broad audience, maybe they should make a little effort to address safety and etiquette issues, more effort than I've seen anyway.

Tournaments could also start enforcing bad behavior too. It would have to be an honor system, so I don't know how that would go because there are a lot of people out there anymore with no or negative honor (like the ass hat mentioned above that cut of the guy and his son almost causing a wreck, or any other similar example) but most people also full well understand the idea of "what goes around, comes around". You get reported by a fellow angler for some total douche bag boating, disqualified from the tournament.

Still doesn't help the issue of the pleasure boaters that are a huge, huge problem I realize. But within the competitive fishing scene, a little self "policing", education and outreach from the role models probably wouldn't hurt.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. Member
    Very well put. I would like to see boater etiquette talked about on some of the tv shows often. It takes that level of personnel to discuss it before it trickles down to the weekend warrior.

Had a wanna be pro tournament with 150 boats that had to go thru a 5mph zone shortly after take off. While i was idling 2 boats came up beside me and while we were still under the bridge which is the end of the 5mph zone both hammered down and nearly swamped me. Couple of month's later i marshalled an elite series event out of the same take off. Everybody in line, no take overs, everybody waited till the boat in front of him took off and planed out... -> real pro's

10. Member
    You have to take a boater safety course in Ms. But sadly there is nobody checking anyone on the water. Have fished 5 years now without seeing a water patrol or game warden. And if I did they were looking for a missing body. So, if they don't check ,anyone can and will be driving on the water with or without training or a license. It's getting really crowded on the lakes I have been going to. Just the shear amount of boats on the water increases your chances of finding an idiot!

11. Member
    It's just one of the reasons I put rearview mirror on my boat, you got to watch the other people!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rharrell View Post
    Don't think people are learning from their fathers or grandfathers like a lot of us have, just go buy a boat and head out on the water with little or zero experience.
    Here around Chattanooga it is getting much worse as Chickamauga continues to get national attention as a "hot" lake. I too see many, many people who don't seem to have a clue. True I think there are more just rude people who don't care but that can't explain the explosion in just stupid behavior. I think Rharrell has hit the nail on the head. We've got a generation or two out there who didn't learn from anyone and folks a lot of the blame is the Dads and Grand Dads who were too busy working, hunting, golfing or fishing tournaments to spend time with their kids. I know that there are some kids who didn't show any interest until they were grown and then went out and got a boat but like I said a lot of guys from my generation (I'm 60) were just too busy to take time to teach anyone.

13. Banned
    I don't think it's going to get ant better with this younger generation. We have high school tournaments here in Texas and to be a boat captain all you need is a boat. They are not teaching the kids proper boating Etiquette because they themselves don''t know it. We had over 200 boats in the west division alone and we have 4 divisions.

14. Member
    I just avoid the lake on weekends and holidays. I only fish during the week. Luckily I have a job where I am off in the middle of the week. Any time I have gone to the lake on a weekend, I end up getting mad. There is a lot of good people on the water, but the lowest common denominator always shows up on the weekend.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

It all boils down to upbringing. If you are brought up right you treat folks right. If not, nothing matters outside of self interests.

Maybe there should be a sign at the launch ramp REMINDING people of the safe boating rules and that Citations will be given to offenders !! Some will read and comply, others could care less, unfortunately !! Maybe the sign should say:

'DO UNTO OTHERS, AS THEY WOULD DO UNTO YOU' !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by kraetzer View Post
    Had a wanna be pro tournament with 150 boats that had to go thru a 5mph zone shortly after take off. While i was idling 2 boats came up beside me and while we were still under the bridge which is the end of the 5mph zone both hammered down and nearly swamped me. Couple of month's later i marshalled an elite series event out of the same take off. Everybody in line, no take overs, everybody waited till the boat in front of him took off and planed out... -> real pro's
    I have fished Pro-Ams - Opens - Team circuits and In ANY tournament, you are disqualified for passing in ANY 5 mph zone !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

18. Member
    Was out on the water today in my runabout with the wife and kids, and had a pontoon pull up beside us on the beach with about 3-5k sound system. Started play some pretty inappropriate music with a bunch of kids around including my own, some asked if he could change it or turn it down his response was this is a public beach move if you don't like it. Ok then after that his my guess 14 year old son pulled between us on a sea doo hits my boat small scuff rubs right off, I play it off for the boy helped him with it to the beach no sorry from his dad who saw or him. Then he goes to leave and doesn't even look behind him almost hitting a kid in the water. No values left in most people like what's been discussed in this thread.

19. Member
    Yeah, if you want to be PC about it, yep, they have no values, common courtesy or respect for others. Realistically, they be a$$ holes, plain and simple. Did the kid or anyone apologize at all for bumping your boat?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rharrell View Post
    Was out on the water today in my runabout with the wife and kids, and had a pontoon pull up beside us on the beach with about 3-5k sound system. Started play some pretty inappropriate music with a bunch of kids around including my own, some asked if he could change it or turn it down his response was this is a public beach move if you don't like it. Ok then after that his my guess 14 year old son pulled between us on a sea doo hits my boat small scuff rubs right off, I play it off for the boy helped him with it to the beach no sorry from his dad who saw or him. Then he goes to leave and doesn't even look behind him almost hitting a kid in the water. No values left in most people like what's been discussed in this thread.
    After all that, I might have just cast a rattle trap onto his boat and reminded him it's public waters if he doesn't like it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast