Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So my 2015 SHO 250 now has a hole through the block

Running this morning at 5700 rpm all of a sudden it sounded like someone dropped handful of bolts in the engine with my hand immediately pulling power instinctively. The key was off before we came off plane. As the boat settled in the water, looking back the oil sheen in the water was large and getting bigger as oil poured out of the front of the engine cover and rigging tube. After a two hour tow back we pulled the cover at the house to the below pics. Looks like a piston rod broke and went through the side of the block. You can see light through the entire engine. Less than 200 hours on the engine and under warranty. I bring it in Monday morning. Wish me luck.

Damn dude sorry to hear that. Keeps us posted as to how Yamaha handles this

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

That sucks!!! Thats the first SHO I have seen that slung a rod through the block like that. Hopefully they get you fixed and back on the water in a timely manner.

4. Member
    I will definitely chronicle my experience in this thread. It'll be interesting to see what the prognosis is.

5. Banned
    I see a new power plant in your immediate future.

6. Banned
    Did you have any overheating issues prior to this? Faults will be stored in the ecu.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    I see a new power plant in your immediate future.
    No doubt.

But when something like this happens there is always that little nagging fear that they will find some reason not to cover it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Did you have any overheating issues prior to this? Faults will be stored in the ecu.
    Once since I've had it. It was a few days ago from getting the intakes clogged but it was immediately shut down, cleaned out and cooled off.

Just looked at the report the previous owner sent me and it happened 4 times while he had it in 158 hours. Remember that we fish the marsh and overheats here are normally at idle from idling out of shallow water.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    No doubt.

But when something like this happens there is always that little nagging fear that they will find some reason not to cover it.
    Something does not appear to be adding up.

Motor is shown as being placed into service in April 2017. Three months ago. Now has approximately 200 hours time on it. Approximately 60 hours of use per month when the average use of an outboard motor is less than 100 hours per year.

Registered by a dealer in one state to an owner in another state. Two states far, far away from each other. Registered more than 30 days after the sale was reported to have been made.

A previous owner is mentioned. Two owners and several hundred hours use within three months time in service might be cause for a red flag to be flying.

Yamaha is not looking to deny warranty claims but your nagging fear might be warranted. Good luck.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    Something does not appear to be adding up.

Motor is shown as being placed into service in April 2017. Three months ago. Now has approximately 200 hours time on it. Approximately 60 hours of use per month when the average use of an outboard motor is less than 100 hours per year.

Registered by a dealer in one state to an owner in another state. Two states far, far away from each other. Registered more than 30 days after the sale was reported to have been made.

A previous owner is mentioned. Two owners and several hundred hours use within three months time in service might be cause for a red flag to be flying.

Yamaha is not looking to deny warranty claims but your nagging fear might be warranted. Good luck.
    When I bought the boat in April, I contacted SIM Yamaha to get an extended warranty because they have the best prices and he found that the engine had never been registered by the selling dealer. He contacted his Yamaha rep who allowed him to register it with my purchase date. Even with the original in service date the engine still meets the time limit of the warranty.

I sure hope that a lazy initial selling dealer doesn't cause a problem with a manufacturer defect.

11. Member
    Good luck with Yamaha, I have HPDI with idling problem and they told me it's because it's on the wrong boat. Said it would be fine on any other boat. So keep on them. good luck hope they do what they should do.

12. Member
    Miniupdate:

Talked with the original owner and he is going to get me the original engine bill of sale and the receipts for the 20 and 100hr services tomorrow. I want to have 100% of the history of this engine in hand just in case I have issues because of the warranty registration weirdness.

13. Member
    Wow....that's catastrophic engine failure there! YIKES. since you have purchased Y.E.S. warranty, I would think Yamaha will fix without issue and get you back on the water as soon as possible. Good luck!
    2012 Z521, Yamaha 250 SHO
    SOLD-1998 Ranger 519DVS, Mercury 225 EFI
    Semper Fi

14. Member
    I've done that with several engines. They were all street rods though! Good luck! Any engine can and does have failures.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

15. Member
    Got a call today. Powerhead is off and the info/pics have been sent to Yamaha. Now we wait.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Got a call today. Powerhead is off and the info/pics have been sent to Yamaha. Now we wait.
    Did they send you the pics?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
    Did they send you the pics?
    I'll take some when I go by today. I'm bringing the boat back to my warehouse so it doesn't sit outside for a couple of weeks.

18. Member
    New pics. The connecting rods still spin freely on the crank so it is probably seized pistons. Both top pistons are damaged. The hole is on the front of the block if you look at it mounted on the boat. There is a lot of damage to other stuff. Hole in starter, hole in intake manifold, damage to top plastic cover and lots more. The mechanic said it is by far the worst engine damage he has ever seen.

As was expressed above they did have an issue with the initial image of high hours in a short time. I brought the original owner's title to the dealer to send to Yamaha to show a late 2015 in service date. We will see what happens. So far it is still in warranty claim limbo.

19. Member
    jeeeeeeeeezzzzuuuuuuuus!!!!!!!
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmlRanger View Post
    jeeeeeeeeezzzzuuuuuuuus!!!!!!!
    I called my buddy that was on the boat with me and all I could say was, "It's soooo bad."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast