Lakevu HD Ultra card compared to the new upgrade onboard map?

I just wondering about this. I bought the HD Ultra map with my 93SV about 2 weeks ago. It cost me $200. No lake in my area is on the Ultra map and the only thing extra it gives is the fisheye screen. So I know I got screwed, or I feel I did since I didn't know at the time it's possible to look this info up on the Garmin site. Now Garmin releases a new onboard map update. My unit won't take the upgrade due to lack of memory. I can only run one map chip card, so I'm wondering which map is better and more detailed. I'm afraid I may have got double screwed out of $200. Does anyone know the difference in the new upgrade, and the Ultra HD map you buy?

2. Member
    It depends on the date of your ultra card.

As you found out, the Ultra cards dont give you any extra lakes or extra contour lines if the lake in question is on the internal maps already. So the question is if your Ultra card already has all the newest lakes that are on the new Internal map up-date.

I would call support and give them the serial number from your Ultra card and ask them. Or you could try emailing the cartography department at cartography@garmin.com and ask them if your ultra card has the newest lakes or not.

You are also entitled to one free up-date to the Ultra card, so if its an older card, you can up-date it to the newest version for free. If it is not the newest, and you just bought it, I would complain to who ever sold it to you because its outdated before you bought it.

Either way you do it, you need to leave one of them in the sd card slot full time. I would probably opt for the Ultra card. It mau have some hot spots for some of your lakes if you're lucky.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Member
    Oh - you might also be able to check through Garmin Express to see if there is an up-date for the ultra card. Im not sure exactly how to d that though. Maybe just plug the card into your computer, then start Express?

Thanks Larry. I'll do some checking on this. Also, when I bought my Garmin unit about 3 weeks ago now, it was ordered straight from Garmin as was the map. Neither one should be old units I wouldn't think. You never know though. If so, it's Garmin then.
    Last edited by Randall53; 07-23-2017 at 06:51 AM.

5. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    So, what's suppose to mean. Is Garmin selling so slow they have old stock on their shelves?

7. Member
    Any idea of how often Garmin updates maps. Is it an annual update or often as new lakes are completed? Or corrected?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerbill View Post
    Any idea of how often Garmin updates maps. Is it an annual update or often as new lakes are completed? Or corrected?
    Dang good question. Their website seems to brag about all the boats they have out doing just that. Updating info.

9. Member
    Its been about twice a year since Ive been watching. Spring and fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall53 View Post
    I just wondering about this. I bought the HD Ultra map with my 93SV about 2 weeks ago. It cost me $200. No lake in my area is on the Ultra map and the only thing extra it gives is the fisheye screen. So I know I got screwed, or I feel I did since I didn't know at the time it's possible to look this info up on the Garmin site. Now Garmin releases a new onboard map update. My unit won't take the upgrade due to lack of memory. I can only run one map chip card, so I'm wondering which map is better and more detailed. I'm afraid I may have got double screwed out of $200. Does anyone know the difference in the new upgrade, and the Ultra HD map you buy?
    The current map version for both LakeVu HD (preloaded) and the Ultra card is either 2017.0 or 2017.01. For the .01 version, the only change was that depth labels were added to the contour lines when in Navigation Chart mode.

See this chart for the added features of Ultra when compared to the preloaded mapping:

HD vs Ultra.JPG
    Garmin Pro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerbill View Post
    With the inland mapping, updates are once per year, usually around March/April timeframe.
    Garmin Pro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    The current map version for both LakeVu HD (preloaded) and the Ultra card is either 2017.0 or 2017.01. For the .01 version, the only change was that depth labels were added to the contour lines when in Navigation Chart mode.

See this chart for the added features of Ultra when compared to the preloaded mapping:

Thanks. It looks like the Ultra card wins. That's what I'll be using.