Electrolysis question

A question for you aluminum boat owners. Are you proactive or reactive about electrolysis?
    Do you install an anode to be proactive, or do you not worry about it unless you see metal turning white on your prop, jack plate or something else and react to it?

I have had the same Lowe aluminum boat for years and never had a problem but I am ordering a new Ranger aluminum and don't want to take any chances. I read that if the boat is kept in a slip in the water you want to be proactive and is more at risk than if it is kept on trailer when not in use. Thanks.

2. Member
    I have never seen a boat that did not come with anodes. Most motors have several.

3. Member
    What transom said, I have a 2017 merc 150 4-stroke on an rt198p and I believe there are 3 or 4 anodes.

4. Member
    Yeah, you may not even realize they are there. When I bought my freshwater boat I was surprised to see two on the engine when I was working on it one day. Never gave it a thought before that.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. I guys because the boat I just got rid of was so old it wasn't customary to manufacture them with anodes, but from what you all are saying they pretty much come standard.

Appreciate it.