Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Those air injectors are about $400.oo a piece, ask me how i know!

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    Those air injectors are about $400.oo a piece, ask me how i know!

How many did you have to replace? This is what bothers me, if I'm going to be in $2-$3k for cleaning with multiple injectors I'd rather sink that money into a new motor.

Back when i sent my fuel rails and injectors to don i had 3 that had failed 1 that was almost failed, with 2 that were good, so i had to buy 4 new ones.....Seems like it was $1600.00 for the injectors if my memory is correct.

Good luck with your decision, a new motor for me wasnt an option

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    The compressor utilizes a 3 ring piston if it is not broken or the ring pack is not compromised you will most likely not have any metal make it into the injection system.
    How is he suppose to know that.
    Read post #14

5. Member
    Most that I have inspected do not have any top end damage. My stats so far are over 10:1. Besides he has run a long time without any power or mechanical issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    How is he suppose to know that.
    Read post #14

6. Member
    A new powerhead is $8K without R&R. By chance is or was your oil pump leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    How many did you have to replace? This is what bothers me, if I'm going to be in $2-$3k for cleaning with multiple injectors I'd rather sink that money into a new motor.

7. Member
    Its been 5 years since the last compressor change, IF you had a injector problem, the motor would have died by now.......relax.

8. Member
    Honestly Grout, I would place my money on Savage. It is a gamble but, I would still put my money on Savage's advice.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Honestly Grout, I would place my money on Savage. It is a gamble but, I would still put my money on Savage's advice.
    The man is a merc genius and I almost wonder if he is an engineer for them at times. I trust him and truth be told, I tend to have bad luck. Luck like where I'll send these suckers in for cleaning and the compressor will blow on the first outing after they are clean. story of my life....I might just leave it alone and check the oil filters again.

Leo, the oil pump had loose bolts and they were damp, not leaking too bad. I tightened them up and all is good (cross my fingers). I'm gonna have to quit reading the Merc page or I'm gonna hang myself with the "what if's"! I'm just one of those anal dudes that try's to keep everything thing in tip top condition, last used thing I'll buy ever.

10. Member
    I only ask about the oil pump because I'm testing a theory about when the compressor filters get clogged the compressors crank case pressure rises enough to cause the oil pump to leak.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    The man is a merc genius and I almost wonder if he is an engineer for them at times. I trust him and truth be told, I tend to have bad luck. Luck like where I'll send these suckers in for cleaning and the compressor will blow on the first outing after they are clean. story of my life....I might just leave it alone and check the oil filters again.

Leo, the oil pump had loose bolts and they were damp, not leaking too bad. I tightened them up and all is good (cross my fingers). I'm gonna have to quit reading the Merc page or I'm gonna hang myself with the "what if's"! I'm just one of those anal dudes that try's to keep everything thing in tip top condition, last used thing I'll buy ever.

11. Banned
    I didn't see any receipts for previous work on the pump. You're theory could be plausible, maybe since mine were leaking a tiny bit they didn't get the full damage from the pressure??? (Leaked from the loose bolts and didn't blow the seal)

12. Member
    I feel your pain. My motor seems to run perfect. I have considered having mine cleaned also. Like you, I figure if I do, my compressor will let go within 5 hours afterwards.

13. Banned
    Most that I have inspected do not have any top end damage. My stats so far are over 10:1. Besides he has run a long time without any power or mechanical issues.
    So when a cooling strainer is clogged up and nothing to cool the compressor which part in your opinion will most likely fail first? I would suspect the piston.
    Last edited by Rich Z; 07-26-2017 at 01:27 PM.

14. Member
    It might just seize which is what I have seen. Still the rings maintain and no metal is passed. It does happen and injectors need to be cleaned. I'm now a perfect example. After I replaced my compressor yesterday I further disassembled my original unit and it has a big gouge in the cylinder from the wrist pin. It appears a cir clip was never installed.

I'm not knocking the value of cleaning the injectors especially on engines with higher use. If you lose a compressor and you have 400hrs it might make sense. Just had it done and lost a compressor which did not compromise the top end maybe its of little value. I have to admit after pricing the cleaning I wish I was in the business.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It might just seize which is what I have seen. Still the rings maintain and no metal is passed. It does happen and injectors need to be cleaned. I'm now a perfect example. After I replaced my compressor yesterday I further disassembled my original unit and it has a big gouge in the cylinder from the wrist pin. It appears a cir clip was never installed.

I'm not knocking the value of cleaning the injectors especially on engines with higher use. If you lose a compressor and you have 400hrs it might make sense. Just had it done and lost a compressor which did not compromise the top end maybe its of little value. I have to admit after pricing the cleaning I wish I was in the business.
    You might want to pull apart the air pressure regulator on a few dozen of these examples. I'll bet you a steak dinner your odds are WAY, WAY, (I mean a MILE) off, based on the visual appearance of METAL fragments in the regulator.

And then... if you backflush the DI's well, you're very likely to find a LOT more.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Banned

Compressor failures are not the only reason DIs malfunction or fail. The pricing is not all that much comparing to the time that we invest into the service.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12