Thread: Road trip ideas

Road trip ideas

All,
    I'll be traveling through Tennessee at the end of August headed to see family in north Ga. Haven't spent too much time there so please give me some must do ideas. I'd like to go places, eat and stay at out of the way type places. Not much into the plastic attractions. Can anyone please recommend small towns to drive through, places to eat and stay also? Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Where in North Georgia? I live in NW (Dalton) and have a condo in NE (Hiawassee). What route are you taking?

3. Member
    Stop by Lynchburg and tour the Jack Daniels distillery, eat at Miss Mary Bobo's. Stop in Chattanooga and go to the aquarium.

Just got back from Chattanooga today, aquarium was great, lookout mountain was cool. Lots to do!
    89 Ranger 360v/05 Optimax 200

5. Member
    Have family in Jasper that we'll stay with. Route hasn't been determined, something scenic I hope. Thanks for the assist!

6. Member
    Great whitewater rafting on the Ocoee NE of Chattanooga.

Take a Drift Boat ride and fly fish for big rainbows on the Caney Fork, half way between Nashville and Knoxville. Use David Knapp, www.troutzoneanglers.com

Many good guides on the Chickamauga Chris Hight for one at https://fishingbooker.com

The http://thelostsea.com/ The Lost Sea is an underground lake, totally pitch-black (you get headlamps).

Gran Ol' Opry near Nashville.

Of course, Dollywood is just what it says it is...lots of plastic.

7. Member
    The Chattanooga, TN area has a lot of attractions. Some local attractions geared towards wildlife and outdoor recreation are, Prentice Cooper State Forest, Fall Creek Falls State Park, Lookout Mountain, the Tennessee Aquarium etc.
    My Username on Archerytalk.com is "LBL Rec Area"

Quote Originally Posted by Land Between the Lakes View Post
    The Chattanooga, TN area has a lot of attractions. Some local attractions geared towards wildlife and outdoor recreation are, Prentice Cooper State Forest, Fall Creek Falls State Park, Lookout Mountain, the Tennessee Aquarium etc.
    +1. See 7 states from lookout mountain, worth the little bit of time it takes to check it out
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

9. Banned
    I assume Sand Springs is in NE Oklahoma? That means you will be coming thru Memphis.

Just go ahead and drive thru West TN unless you're driving thru at meal time. Then you would want to stop at one of the meccas of barbecue. Bozo's in Mason, TN is one of them.

You could pickup Hwy 64 on the east side of Memphis and follow it all the way to the north side is Monteagle Mountain and I-24. Lynchburg is just to the north past Fayetteville. The road is now very nice and ununcongested 4 lane.

10. Member
    Take 41 across and down the mountain to Jasper, you can stop in monteagle and eat at High point restaurant its a little pricey but its cool Al Copone built and owned the hous for his mistress.

Like Bamaman said take 64 to monteagle then 41 to jasper.