Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    Yes, people definitely lie about speed. That why it is good to see the video on the run on the gps. Not just talk about it with no proof.
    Lol. I guess that's a shot at me since I don't have any video proof. I'm not equipped to take video while I'm running by myself, but I guess I'll figure something out. It's only fair. All I have is my I-phone. Any suggestions on a way to hold my phone still enough to video my gps? Also, I have not figured out how to post pics or vids on the forum anymore. I always get an error about file size. This is the only forum I have this problem with.

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Setting a long-distance speed record while running the mighty Mississippi River upstream is no small feet. One imagines that such an exploit would be attempted in a million-dollar offshore raceboat powered by multiple big-block sterndrives. It would seem reasonable that only a combination such as this would be capable of enduring the constant onslaught of huge barge wakes, heavy current, and floating debris.

It came as quite a shock to learn that a $15,000 Charger bassboat, running a 235hp Johnson V-6, actually set the standard in 1983. Behind the wheel was none other than Bob Cox, then president of Charger, Inc., a small, independent bassboat builder located in central Missouri. Riding shotgun was his partner, Dean Pink. Their time for the 1027-mile trip was 23 hours, 9 minutes.

This record run yanked the coveted Grace Challenge Cup out of the hands of Michael Reagan, the ex-president's son who set the previous record the year before in a $500,000, 38-foot boat with three 800-horsepower I/Os.

In 1987, Cox and Pink again ran a 19-foot Charger from New Orleans to St. Louis, breaking their own record with a time of 20 hours, 45 minutes. This time was good enough to officially retire the Grace Cup to the Charger office in Richland, Missouri.

Although Cox's record may go unnoticed on the pages of history by most bass fishermen, the legacy of Charger bassboats shines brightly in the eyes of those who like big, stable fishing platforms. The dual-console Foxfire 495TF is a prime example of this genre.

pretty cool for a non speed boat For you new guys
    These boats were clicking along at a cool 85-90 on the straight s

3. Member
    Nice lesson. Pretty cool

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    My buddy has the 496 with a 300 we have tried a few props and loaded down full live wells fuel and our fat butts it runs 77-79 and what's funny is when a boat comes up on us at 70 and he bumps the trim and the old charger lifts like a f18 taking off and we gone.Granted there's faster boats but not that many in our neck of the woods.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abianca99 View Post
    Lol. I guess that's a shot at me since I don't have any video proof. I'm not equipped to take video while I'm running by myself, but I guess I'll figure something out. It's only fair. All I have is my I-phone. Any suggestions on a way to hold my phone still enough to video my gps? Also, I have not figured out how to post pics or vids on the forum anymore. I always get an error about file size. This is the only forum I have this problem with.
    No ,actually it wasn't. Glad you are having fun with your 496. Now not all Cats run 80 but there are some that do and you may have run across a couple that did not. But 80 on gps is faster that 77 gps. Here is one that does with some change. And I am not a Cat or Charger homer.

Last edited by Sports1; 08-02-2017 at 02:21 PM.

6. Member
    Nice video. Impressive speed, and good driving. I can probably figure out a way to mount my phone similar to that.

I know that some cats are 80 plus, but most are not. Setup and driver have everything to do with it. I know a few guys that say their boat is a certain speed because one of their buddies said his boat ran a certain speed. But neither run can run the speed they said. It's like a domino effect.

7. Member
    I have a video I'm trying to load from my phone now. It loads it and compresses it, but never gives me the option to post it. Idk. It's frustrating.

8. Member
    I have a video I'm trying to load from my phone now. It loads it and compresses it, but never gives me the option to post it. Idk. It's frustrating.
    There is a a thread showing how to post videos somewhere in the general forums I think.

9. Member

Ok. I figured out how to post a video. This is a video of my 77.4 mph run, but it proves nothing. Lol. I came up quick on a log and trimmed down quick turning a little to the left. You can see when I forget about driving and focus on the log. The boat immediately starts to chine walk.

Hmmm. I wonder why the quality of the video went down when I transferred it to this forum?
    Last edited by abianca99; 08-02-2017 at 03:16 PM.

10. Member
    Q the haters to troll the thread to shambles. Hope we can get some more posts on basscat speeds.
    Last edited by procraftokie; 08-03-2017 at 08:01 AM.

11. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    If you get some more wheel time and a bigger prop that 496 will be a 80 mph boat .

I have had 1989 180vf to 69.8 mph with an Evinrude 150. I have tried everything to get that last 0.2 but to no avail.

13. Member
    210 elite 76.8
    2013 Skeeter ZX20, 250 SHO
    26 pitch Turbo FXP

14. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    No ,actually it wasn't. Glad you are having fun with your 496. Now not all Cats run 80 but there are some that do and you may have run across a couple that did not. But 80 on gps is faster that 77 gps. Here is one that does with some change. And I am not a Cat or Charger homer.

That speed and acceleration was quite impressive. Wonder what an Eyra would do in the hands of that driver?
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

15. Member

16. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    YOu sayin an Eyra will be slower than that cougar?
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    YOu sayin an Eyra will be slower than that cougar?
    No. That's the fastest I've been in my Charger.

18. Member
    No. That's the fastest I've been in my Charger.
    Which is hauling a$$! I bet Ed is already missing that boat!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    Which is hauling a$$! I bet Ed is already missing that boat!
    I'm sure he is happy with his new boat.

20. Member
    did he end up with a phoenix?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast