Thread: 998 issue

998 issue

I have a 998 that has developed strange problem. half the time the depth readout is right and others it will read 3.6 but actual depth on the bottom is much deeper than that. when it does while on play it is reading bottom and I can see how deep it is but the readout will say 3.6

transducer is mounted inside the boat with side imaging transducer on bottom of jack plate

Typically a failing or loose transducer reads 2.6'
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

its probably failing then - dealer checked the trans inside boat last year and was solid

what Is model of transducer for inside hull

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    its probably failing then - dealer checked the trans inside boat last year and was solid

what Is model of transducer for inside hull
    XP-9-20
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    I have a 998 that has developed strange problem. half the time the depth readout is right and others it will read 3.6 but actual depth on the bottom is much deeper than that. when it does while on play it is reading bottom and I can see how deep it is but the readout will say 3.6

transducer is mounted inside the boat with side imaging transducer on bottom of jack plate
    Bad transducer. It's happened to me twice now and they are not fun to pull out and re epoxy. Some people on her will try and blame it on your hull de-laminating because it's never HB fault.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Alive View Post
    Bad transducer. It's happened to me twice now and they are not fun to pull out and re epoxy. Some people on her will try and blame it on your hull de-laminating because it's never HB fault.
    A delaminated hull IS another symptom of the same issue.

That is why you test the two transducers when you have an issue and then test on the water for the best location BEFORE you attach another one to the hull. Just common sense.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    I surely haven't been in this forum as long as some folks but I can't remember seeing any post in which anyone stated it was a delamination issue for certain. In the posts that I've seen in this forum and others, it is usually stated as a possibility. Obviously, newer boats usually don't have an issue with delamination unless there's a manufacturing defect. It (delamination) is sometimes referenced as a possible cause because responders don't always know the status of the boat from the posted problems. I also don't think anyone can assume a new transducer being bad but it does happen just like any product on the market.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

8. Member
    my bow graph is having this same issue . I have a fortrex with us2 transducer . Do you think my transducer is bad also ? If so how hard is it to change out ? There are screws in the bottom so maybe just a gasket or o-ring underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    my bow graph is having this same issue . I have a fortrex with us2 transducer . Do you think my transducer is bad also ? If so how hard is it to change out ? There are screws in the bottom so maybe just a gasket or o-ring underneath.
    Do you have that issue whether or not the motor is running or just running?

I think you should discuss changing the US2 with the knowledge of a Minnkota service center. John Jones on the Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motor forum is a good source.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    It seems to happen at any time . I have an ultrex on the way so The fortrex will soon become a spare

finally got around to having it replaced - insulation around the plug was damaged from plastic wire tie. Time to get it in the water and see how it is now