2 cycle oil leak Optimax 225

Engine Oil Leak 2003 225 Mercury Optimax

2003 225 Merc Opti
    SN:OT667234

Hoping someone can shed some light on my problem. Had some oil on the garage floor, assumed it was lower unit gear lube. Brought it in to the shop, and had them check for water and leaks. My mechanic pressure tested, replaced impeller, did the gasket and seal kit, and replaced the lower oil. No water intrusion was found. Took the boat out to a local lake, all good. Boat was in the garage for a few days, no leak. Assuming it was resolved, took the boat out for the 4th of july week, never noticed any oil as we were parked on gravel, or the boat was at the dock. Returned home, parked the boat in the garage, next day, oil on the floor. Back to my mechanic, he said it was a failed gasket. He replaced it under warranty and I was on my way. Boat sat in the garage for a few days, no leaks. Took it out to a local lake, ran good. Parked it in the garage, next day or two, more oil.

On closer inspection, the oil that is leaking looks to be my Engine Oil, not gear lube! To confirm, I pulled a lower plug, and the oil that was replaced was blue/green. My leak is brown orange (Merc Opti Oil). It is leaking from the seam where you bolt on the lower. It looks green in the pic, but it's brown on a paper towel. Image attached.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Anyways, I pulled the cowling off, and couldn't find any obvious leaks. The onboard engine reservoir is full with no leaks. Hoses are intact. Can anyone offer any ideas? Never had any alarms go off on the smart craft since the leak. Major repairs were done a couple years ago to re-bore a cylinder, and replace a piston, #6 went out. I would appreciate any help:)

I'm thinking crank shaft seal, but was told there wasn't abnormal amounts of oil on the driveshaft. Another mechanic was told by a merc dealer it could be due to the weather and heat melting the grease on the shaft?

2. Member
    Did you ever find out what was causing this?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving this thread to the 3L Mercury Forum (correct forum for this model).

Is it possible that the engine was FOGGED, and Oil Pump Prime was run, OR Break-In was Reset?

Any of those items will push oil through the powerhead...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Pull the lower unit to inspect for the leak.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwwong View Post
    Engine Oil Leak 2003 225 Mercury Optimax

2003 225 Merc Opti
    SN:OT667234

Hoping someone can shed some light on my problem. Had some oil on the garage floor, assumed it was lower unit gear lube. Brought it in to the shop, and had them check for water and leaks. My mechanic pressure tested, replaced impeller, did the gasket and seal kit, and replaced the lower oil. No water intrusion was found. Took the boat out to a local lake, all good. Boat was in the garage for a few days, no leak. Assuming it was resolved, took the boat out for the 4th of july week, never noticed any oil as we were parked on gravel, or the boat was at the dock. Returned home, parked the boat in the garage, next day, oil on the floor. Back to my mechanic, he said it was a failed gasket. He replaced it under warranty and I was on my way. Boat sat in the garage for a few days, no leaks. Took it out to a local lake, ran good. Parked it in the garage, next day or two, more oil.

On closer inspection, the oil that is leaking looks to be my Engine Oil, not gear lube! To confirm, I pulled a lower plug, and the oil that was replaced was blue/green. My leak is brown orange (Merc Opti Oil). It is leaking from the seam where you bolt on the lower. It looks green in the pic, but it's brown on a paper towel. Image attached.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Anyways, I pulled the cowling off, and couldn't find any obvious leaks. The onboard engine reservoir is full with no leaks. Hoses are intact. Can anyone offer any ideas? Never had any alarms go off on the smart craft since the leak. Major repairs were done a couple years ago to re-bore a cylinder, and replace a piston, #6 went out. I would appreciate any help:)

I'm thinking crank shaft seal, but was told there wasn't abnormal amounts of oil on the driveshaft. Another mechanic was told by a merc dealer it could be due to the weather and heat melting the grease on the shaft?
    I had the same thing happening on my 250 Pro XS and it was the lower crankshaft seals..shop pulled the powerhead and replaced the seals and leak is gone now..
    2020 Basscat Lynx..
    2020 Mercury 300 Pro XS 4S..

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassn View Post
    Did you ever find out what was causing this?
    If you want the OP's response suggest you send a PM because he has not logged in here since August.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    If you want the OP's response suggest you send a PM because he has not logged in here since August.
    Oh boy, now I see what happened.......