New Ultrex first time on the water

Well today was the water trial for my Ultrex 80lb 45" shaft. Overall I love it! Can't believe how easy and responsive the steering is and how easy it is to stow and deploy. The spot lock is everything they say it is although today there was very little to no wind so will see how it does in higher winds. Jog function works as far as I know. I just have my heading sensor taped down at the front of the boat. We calibrated it and it will move to the right or left as needed but not sure how accurate it is but I can live with how it's working as it seems to move how I want it to. I did have a few gotchas.

1. For the first hour or so no problems at all. Then I was pushing the button to move forward and even if I took my foot off the button the motor wouldn't stop going. You either had to turn the speed off or the power button off. I then figured out that if I pushed up on the button from the underneath the foot pedal it would stop moving. Since I had an issue with my old Maxxum motor with the spring for that button break I thought that might be the issue so I took the button off. The spring seemed okay so I put the button back on and still it would just run on it's own unless I manually pushed the button from the bottom. So one more time I took the button off and spring and put the spring and button back on and after that for the rest of the day it did fine.

Has anyone else had this issue?

2. I was under the impression that if you were moving along on a forward heading and stopped pushing the button the motor would keep going on its own until you changed directions. Is that true? And if so could that be related to number 1?

All other functions worked on the motor along with the remote as advertised.

Again, this motor is all that I expected and I can't wait to keep using it. I'm just worried about the button thing as it's working now but I'm afraid it will start doing it again.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

2. Member
    Not really sure of your problem. but if its momentary switch on the foot pedal, its been a problem on many ultrex motors. Usually it can be adjusted, but usually minn kota wants then sent back for the issue. again dont know if thats your issue tho. you can call minn kota for directions on how to precede.

3. Member
    Yes, that seems that might be the answer. I noticed that little pin like thing with two wires and it seemed to be sticking up a little. So I pushed it down, put the spring and the switch back on and worked fine the rest of the day. However it's like a ticking time bomb waiting to break again. I love this motor but not happy that I have to worry about a possible problem or worse having to send the whole thing back. My hand is still healing from the first installation and I really don't want to go through that again! I'll be calling Monn Kota next week I guess
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

4. Member
    Called Minnkota and they told me it sounds like my problem is the known issue with the Momentary switch. The person on the call said they have been asking for the old unit but right now they have at least a 3 week back order on sending out new units. The person also said that within 3 or more weeks that Minnkota is going to be sending the fix to the authorized service centers so you don't have to send the motor back. Not sure i believe that but it seems for now all I can do is live with this ticking time bomb and wait for it to break again or call a service center and hope they have the fix at some point. I guess i have two years to get this working
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

5. Member
    Did they say they had a new designed momentary switch, or just that their letting the dealers now make the warranty(money) adjustments on the older same switch.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    Did they say they had a new designed momentary switch, or just that their letting the dealers now make the warranty(money) adjustments on the older same switch.
    Ha Ha, i'm guessing the later. The person on the phone tried to make it sound like there was some kind of fix but they weren't specific. My point to them was i didn't want to go through all the trouble of taking this motor off and then having send it back and wait for a new motor and put it on if there was not a fix. So at this point I have no idea. Now maybe they are shipping out new units with a fix and maybe even though I just bought mine two weeks ago mine was an older unit since I didn't buy it directly from MinnKota. Who knows. All I know is I have an issue that may or may not happen again and from what I can tell there isn't a known fix. Will see the next time I use it and I guess I have two years to mess with it
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

7. Member
    There's several posts on here about adjusting the switch. I've not had to do it to mine but it would be a simple fix that wouldn't require sending the unit back to MK.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 07SkeeterZX225 View Post
    There's several posts on here about adjusting the switch. I've not had to do it to mine but it would be a simple fix that wouldn't require sending the unit back to MK.
    Thanks, I'll see what I can find. Funny how MinnKota didn't mention that
    2021 Skeeter ZX225