Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Transom wedges going to fix my problem?

Hello all that time of year again trying to figure out why my champion has such bad prop slip, it's a 2001-206 with an vmax225 Ox66,10' bob's jack, I have three different props a 24 tempest Plus gives 5500/5600 @56mph, tempest Plus 25 Mark has added cup and balanced 5000/5200@60-61mph, 24 fury 4 5400/5500@ 58 mph, all my best speed comes at 5 in below pad, running the plate all the way down, coming out of the hole it likes to be at about 3 1/2, then I shift all the way out and start moving the Jack plate down, with the Jack plate all the way down then I can feel it really lift the bow and where it gets its best speeds, if I lift the Jack plate at all the nose drops and so does the speed-so I talked to Bob today thinking that maybe I had too much Jack plate and they suggest I try 5° transom wedges? Think this that going to help? Thank you so much, I usually deal with it for the first couple tournaments of the year and then just say the hell with it and fish. Any experience or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

2. Member
    What is the elevation where you are?

3. Member
    About 2200'

4. Member
    Is the motor healthy? How much load are you carrying up front , how much electronics? If the motor is healthy, I think that you need a smaller prop for where you are. Maybe a 23 tempest plus

5. Member
    I do carry a lot of tackle, motor has new pistons and hydrotec high comp heads last year, I do all filters and injectors every 2 years ( just did them thru brucato), running 4 ionic in the rear

6. Member
    I did have a 23 tempest Plus before gave me better rpm but was slower but it was before I had the bob plate

7. Member
    Ultrex 45", 2 -helix 10 up front

8. Member
    24 Tempest aren’t that good out of the box. I’m thinking that you may have to rebalance your load in the boat, especially since you have lithium batteries. Too much weight up front .

Quote Originally Posted by Cwirth View Post
    Hello all that time of year again trying to figure out why my champion has such bad prop slip, it's a 2001-206 with an vmax225 Ox66,10' bob's jack, I have three different props a 24 tempest Plus gives 5500/5600 @56mph, tempest Plus 25 Mark has added cup and balanced 5000/5200@60-61mph, 24 fury 4 5400/5500@ 58 mph, all my best speed comes at 5 in below pad, running the plate all the way down, coming out of the hole it likes to be at about 3 1/2, then I shift all the way out and start moving the Jack plate down, with the Jack plate all the way down then I can feel it really lift the bow and where it gets its best speeds, if I lift the Jack plate at all the nose drops and so does the speed-so I talked to Bob today thinking that maybe I had too much Jack plate and they suggest I try 5° transom wedges? Think this that going to help? Thank you so much, I usually deal with it for the first couple tournaments of the year and then just say the hell with it and fish. Any experience or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Are you keeping the jack plate at a set height and slowly trimming out while the boat is on plane making the speed runs? You are not keeping a set (stationary) trim angle and moving the jack plate up and down while the boat is on plane making speed runs, correct?
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

10. Member
    Yeah I keep the plate at three and a half until I trim all the way out and then start moving it down, it just seems odd that I got to go all the way to 5 in below pad to get my best performance

11. Member
    How did it run before the Lithiums?
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

12. Member
    Remember exactly the numbers but it was definitely faster with all props, still not like it should be though, I did the high compression heads, Pistons and lithiums all last year thinking I would see some gains and actually ended up being slower?

13. Member
    I have 5* wedges on my 198 and they did help, gets you just a bit more trim and rpm. I added my wedges before I switched to all Lithium. After I switched to Lithium I had a better hole shot, but the boat ran really flat. Still turned the same rpms, but had to drop all my props about 1/2 inch on all, and lost .5-1mph. Props are 24 Tempest Plus, 24 TXP OT4, and a 25 Fury 4.

Like you, I carry a lot of "stuff" up front. I'm sure it would help some if I moved it to the rear.
    Ed R.

14. Member
    I have been playing a similar game on my 2005 206. I am in agreement with several of the people responding that tackle load can make a big difference. I recently swapped out my motor for a Merc 250 Pro XS four stroke, so I had to play the prop game. While playing with different props, I did not have my tackle loaded in the boat. I never really dialed in the top end but hit 72.7mph. I felt that was fast enough. The boat was walking, and didn't see the need to push it further. I have a hydraulic jack plate, so I likely have a little room to play if I want to dial it in all the way. First tournament, I was only able to run upper 60s and was frustrated. The week after the tournament, I bagged all of my tackle so I could move it around the boat. I was absolutely amazed by the performance differences depending on where I loaded it in the boat. Obviously the further aft I put it, the better the performance was. I will say that the 206 is the flattest running Champion I have ever been in. It does not have the lift of the narrow bodies, and as such is a lot more temperamental to how I load it. I should state that I am running a Fury 3 blade 23P, however, that will not help you with a 2 stroke motor. The learning curve on props going from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke has been huge. Four strokes like less pitch and run higher RPMs.

15. Member
    I’m like Ed, I’m running a 198. When I put the lithiums in, I shifted them as far back as they’d go, even mounted 1 sideways by the jackplate bolts. Then with the extra room in the back, I put all the stuff I don’t use often in plastic containers and put them in the rear hatch. A lot of the tackle that I rarely use, went to the rear box. I ended up picking up about 1.5mph overall, but I don’t tournament fish. If I did, I wouldn’t care about the speed and I’d care more about the convenience.

spotlock trolling motors are the biggest speed killers that we buy, but they sure are worth it.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    spotlock trolling motors are the biggest speed killers that we buy, but they sure are worth it.
    Yeah, that 52" Ghost up front didn't help bow lift any. BUT, when alone, it's a big, big difference when fishing off shore and you need to retie, or rummaging around looking for tackle.
    Ed R.

The tempest Plus 25 Mark has added cup and balanced 5000/5200@60-61mph looks promising if your motor's maximum rpms is 5800-6000. I assume this was at full outward trim and couldn't get any more rpms. Try making more speed runs with the jack plate height that gave you the 5000/5200@60-61mphn and raising your jack plate 1/4 of a inch each run to see if you can get more rpms. The jack plate is kept stationary on each run, only adjusting the trim.
    Last edited by smokewagon; 04-21-2023 at 07:55 AM.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

18. Member
    Ok thanks,I've tried after full trim out raising the plate slowly, I can get it to turn more rpm but it falls on its face and loses speed,I'll try the wedges and see if I can get more rpm with the 25

You mention 3.5 and 5 inches . Are you going by the numbers on the plate or actual prop to pad measurements . Need to measure . Engine might be too high
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

20. Member
    3.5 is the number on the plate the 5 under is actual measurement, if I'm measuring it correct, I have the boat level I measure down from the bottom of my hull, then I run the motor down to where I get best performance and measure it to the prop shart ,subtracted the too and it's 5 in?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast