Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    I don't think I'd downgrade, you may change you mind again in a few years.
    Why change now, they are already in place?

2. Member
    Leave em for sure. Maybe you will try some new lakes that having that ability to find things will help you.

3. Member
    I went from a Cougar with HDS 12 & 5 at the console and 7 at the bow to my current Tin boat with two 7's. I have the old network cable but I haven't installed it in the year I've had the boat. I did finally install the LSS2 this month. I've found fish with it twice in water less than 15' deep. What I don't do anymore is spend countless hours trying to be a ledge fisherman. I may hit them for an hour each trip to see if I get lucky. I spend most of my time in my same old patterns. I'm out there to enjoy the water. Catching is a bonus. I'd enjoy what you have.

4. Member
    I feel the same way as the OP at times. I came from a smaller tin to an RT188. I wanted a nice screen for the front which is where I spend most of my time and something small for the console networked to the front and for 2D sonar while on plane. When I bought my boat Humminbird only had networking for Helix 9 and above. So I wound up buying 2 Helix 10's. Now when I fish, I look behind me and see a unit that I hardly ever look at and that cost me $1000. Seems almost like a waste of money. I'm hardly ever at the console and the Alumaducer that's installed loses bottom after 20 mph or so. I've come to realize that networking isn't a really big deal for the way I fish. Should've listened to the wife on this one. She told me I would probably never use the console unit.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    I'm hardly ever at the console and the Alumaducer that's installed loses bottom after 20 mph or so.
    I was going to try an Alumaducer on my RT178 but that's not encouraging :/

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    I was going to try an Alumaducer on my RT178 but that's not encouraging :/
    To be fair, @Skeeterbait has one on his RT188. He's able to get readings at WOT. For whatever reason I can't duplicate his numbers. Sometimes if I play with the trim angle it'll be a little better.
    Could be just me not being as experienced as he is.

Another thing is that I had mine installed at the dealership when I bought the boat. I don't think they ever installed one before. I gave them a picture of where @skeeterbait installed his and that's where they installed mine. That being said, every boat is different. Maybe a minor shift of the transducer puck would make all the difference if you did it by testing on the water before epoxying it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    To be fair, @Skeeterbait has one on his RT188. He's able to get readings at WOT. For whatever reason I can't duplicate his numbers. Sometimes if I play with the trim angle it'll be a little better.
    Could be just me not being as experienced as he is.

Another thing is that I had mine installed at the dealership when I bought the boat. I don't think they ever installed one before. I gave them a picture of where @skeeterbait installed his and that's where they installed mine. That being said, every boat is different. Maybe a minor shift of the transducer puck would make all the difference if you did it by testing on the water before epoxying it down.
    If the hull forward of it is not smooth/level, the air gap/bubbles passing under the transducer will affect the performance. Not unusual for an aluminum hull.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Banned
    I did not use mine much either but starting catching fish in 25 foot of water and some big girls. won't go without them

9. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    If your not using them, I would sell them. A few years down the road they want be worth anything the way the put out new electronics these days. You'll get more for them now before they stop working and you have to pay more money to upgrade them because they won't repair them.
    My 2 cents!!

10. Banned
    humminbird will repair them for many years to come

11. Member
    I wouldn't know how to catch fish without my electronics, thousands of waypoints and Ultrex trolling motor!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

12. @delta_fisher
    I've got a couple lowrance 5" I'll trade ya lol
    99 Triton TR18 DC
    99 Evinrude Ficht 150

Striped bass angler, CA Delta

@delta_fisher @pondscumanglers
    @limitlures @slyguylures
    @nor.cal.kat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12