Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thought I wanted fancy electronics

Got the HB Helix 9 DI on the bow and Helix 9 SI on the console with ram mounts on my new tin rig. They are networked. Got it in my head I wanted to learn structure fishing so I figured this would be necessary to do it right. After a year of it, I realize I don't really care to find structure in 15-30'. I would rather just fish the way I enjoy, beat the banks very early for the top water bite and maybe run cranks, soft plastics or whatever off the bank in 5-15'. I'm usually done by 10:00, just don't enjoy fishing more than four hours.

This being the case does it make any sense to try to swap out these units for basic fish finders? One thing I will be keeping is the MK Terrova. I recorded my path around the small lakes I fish and then just hit replay and I don't have to touch the trolling motor unless I get hung up. This is worth ever penny it cost.

If I were to sell the boat in the future the low end electronics may come back to bite me. One more thing, with the cheaper fish finders, I would not have adjust the ram mounts for fishing and travel position. No big deal, but one more thing not to do before/after launching.

2. Banned
    I don't think I'd downgrade, you may change you mind again in a few years.

You already have them, keep them. You might find you want to play with them a little more as time goes on... and once you catch the offshore bug it's hard to go back to the bank haha
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Member
    Buyers' remorse? Hang on to them........................

5. Member
    I would just keep them. You don't have to get great at the offshore thing but you could still go look around when it's slow. When you do end up figuring it out it can be really fun. I will still always like the shallow stuff the best but some deep fishing can be really fun

6. Member
    I purchased a Lowrance HDS 9 gen 3 with structure scan and installed it on my boat two years ago. So far that unit has helped me "catch" bass one time. I fish shallow rivers so it has been an expensive toy to idle around looking at stuff with no fish on it.

7. Scraps
    Hang on. This was my idea tow years ago too. I've had some disappointing trips structure fishing, especially in this heat we've been having. It's humbling. But, you've got the finders, good for resale, and they are still useful in shallow water.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    I had the same feeling at year 1 with my HDS8 and HDS7. Honestly they did not help me more then the 20 year old Eagle's I replaced in the old boat. Then I took a Sonar class with Randy Kuhns down on KY Lake and he set my units up. After that I could mark an object on the bottom, navigate back to it, and hang a jig in the stump or brush.

So the question is do I use it? No, I fish 4ft of water in FLA 95% of the time but don't dare remove units. If I ever fish in my home state they are super valuable.

Your first question is can you use what you have effectively???? If No, get help.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

9. Member
    I too am having the same issue---I wish my boat had the same old units I had on my old boat---I get very frustrated trying to use the new units---I want to fish not have to screw around with the locators. I don't fish deeper than about 15ft usually from 4 to about 8 feet

I tend to agree with the OP

I'd like to have the helix 9's instead of the hds-7's I have personally. The helix 9's look great, at least on a buddy's boat. No matter how you fish I can't see them not giving you a advantage.

If you really want to downgrade I might be interested in trading.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

12. Member
    I don't have the time to get our very often so when I do I want to fish not idle around. I've had a hb di unit in my basement for a year and haven't really thought about installing it. When I did have SI I rarely took the unit with me when I went. Never really thought about it. I think it had 73 hours on it after having it for 3 years.

13. Member
    Man didn't know there was anybody that didn't want bigger and better electronics. I bought new 3 years ago and need some bigger units. As I get older I have found the bigger the screen the better I can figure out what I am looking at. As a foot note I always buy last years models so I can catch them on sale. I have 9 inch screens now but would like 12 or bigger. They get very pricey after 10 inch models it seems!

Keep them and learn to use them. Get taught by a professional. You won't be sorry.
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

Those electronics can be useful tools when fishing 5-15 feet deep. You do not have to go 15-30 feet deep to find fish off the bank.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

16. Banned
    I'll use My HDS-5 for an occasional depth/water temp. check. You might be able to swap them for some 'High End' gear that You'd never buy or if things continue as they are now, those will be out of date by the end of Summer due to 'manufactured obsolescence'

I recently upgraded mine units to the mega .. Sold the front unit that was on the rig and before the new ones came in I went fishing one time . I felt like I had lost my best friend . I follow the bass.. if they are deep I am going to the ledges .. Would be hard for me to go back. Heck I am wanting a second unit to use just for mapping. Ledge fishing can be very frustrating as well as rewarding . Takes a little time to unravel it but when it starts clicking you may not want to go back to beating the banks . Had one of my best days on the ledges last weekend . Its nice to pull up to a spot and catch 20 pds ..

think of the most expensive Oldest Collector Car in the World.. If and what few times it sells..does the new potential buyer nix it cause don't have A/C, automatic tranny, cannot go 100 mph? and of course no radio or stereo etc etc ..

19. Member
    I'll give you $100 for your ethernet port.

20. Member
    crazy! But I could see it being kind of a waste of money if you don't use all those new features.
    use the DI much?
    You have what I want to upgrade except I want mega at the console.
    My boat came with a 588 I think it is... also a lowrance 7 elite hdi.
    They are pretty solid, one with gps one with di.
    Want si bad though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast