SHO power head replacement

took my letter to dealer for power head replacement. dealer calls yamaha to order power head, yamaha said they need dealer to get data from motor and send the data in before they will ship power head. anyone else had to do this before yamaha would send power head?

What is the reason for replacing? I've had a ph replaced but only after a hole in a piston.

Yamaha wants to collect data for future product enhancements. Data is a more important asset than employees. The company with the most data wins. Its a small price to pay to get a $10k plus powerhead. I work for GE so i understand data collection and its importance. We will pretty much give a company a turbine if we can collect data and maintain it- thats how important data is. Just ask amazon or google how important data is.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Yup, they're just ensuring that they get it. Not really a big deal, it's not like they're going to deny the recall because of the data.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbcat View Post
    took my letter to dealer for power head replacement. dealer calls yamaha to order power head, yamaha said they need dealer to get data from motor and send the data in before they will ship power head. anyone else had to do this before yamaha would send power head?
    In manufacturing there are constant changes to products as time goes by. Most are interchangable. They probably need to make sure your replacement powerhead is totally compatable with the rest of your motor and rigging.

6. Member
    No

7. Banned
    I think the big thing they want to determine on these older block recalls is if they need to send you just the block and have the shop swap everything on the outside or if they send you a complete "dressed" block.

Its like the progressive plugin for the safe driving discount. They wanna see how youve been treatin er

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

ttt

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imbatman View Post
    I think the big thing they want to determine on these older block recalls is if they need to send you just the block and have the shop swap everything on the outside or if they send you a complete "dressed" block.
    I would sure like to know if they are using parts off my motor ...or giving me a brand new, entire power head...heck, I would pay extra for all new parts.

Who really cares- youre getting a new powerhead. Give them what they want or keep running it like it sits. You cant tell them what theyre gonna do you either go by their terms or not. Its not like you got something top secret goin on

i follow the lounge topics and i know sho owners on here have had their power head replaced. no one has mentioned the data collection. just trying to see if this was done on their power head replacement or this is something new. would like to hear from a sho owner if this was part of their procedure. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbcat View Post
    i follow the lounge topics and i know sho owners on here have had their power head replaced. no one has mentioned the data collection. just trying to see if this was done on their power head replacement or this is something new. would like to hear from a sho owner if this was part of their procedure. thanks
    Pretty sure, whether the owner knows it or not, every "free replacement SHO powerhead" service they hooked up to download data before they worked on it.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Yamaha wants to collect data for future product enhancements. Data is a more important asset than employees. The company with the most data wins. Its a small price to pay to get a $10k plus powerhead. I work for GE so i understand data collection and its importance. We will pretty much give a company a turbine if we can collect data and maintain it- thats how important data is. Just ask amazon or google how important data is.
    Interesting, Wind or gas? I work for a company here in the Toronto area that manufactures gas and steam turbine blades, vanes, etc for GE, Siemens...

Quote Originally Posted by grimsbylander View Post
    Interesting, Wind or gas? I work for a company here in the Toronto area that manufactures gas and steam turbine blades, vanes, etc for GE, Siemens...
    I work for GE power systems. I am a gas and steam turbine controls engineer. I also work on the newer DC transmission and energy storage along with hybrid solar. No wind anymore.