Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heavy Flipping Stick

I could use some suggestions for a Heavy flipping stick. For comparison, I mainly use my Powell Endurance 775 and Max 7105. I need something stronger than The Endurance. I have no flipping sticks to look at localy so always order online and hope they work. Powells are awesome, just want a heavier rod and without a parabolic bend, under $250 preferred. Suggestions?

2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

ALX Rods Power Bolt or Thunder

Ace Hardware over in Spokane, WA is sells a good number of both series. I know that's not close to Bellingham, but definitely popular in the PNW.

If you care to talk about them, give us a call at 866-628-5052. Be happy to talk about each and maybe a couple other good fits in your price range. Never hurts to be able to call the place that builds their own rods.

4. Member
    Ill be looking up the Hammer rods sometime today, I cant tell what the taper is with the description on Tackle trap. The ALX seems to have a moderate taper which is what I dont want since I already have one with miderate action. Hoping to find a light in weight rod but extra fast tip

5. Member
    Fitzgerald rods have the power you are looking for. They are a little heavy but they have power to get the job done. No sissy sticks.

6. Member
    My powell 3d 775 is a stout rod. I assume the Endurace similar. What are you doing that requires more power?
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

7. Banned
    For that $250 We will traipse o'er to The TAckleWhorehouse™ and get the "Full Set-Up"

Rod:http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ark_V...ge-ARKVIC.html

Reel: 8-speed : http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/ONE3_...scpage-OI.html

Line: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sunli...page-INVI.html

And because You crossed the $125 Threshold (You blew enough to get a FREE shirt!!!... and don't forget the FREE stickers but You'll have to want it..)

With the rest make sure You get a very WARM jacket, sweater(s) .. I played there against the M's in 1987 when Jr. Griffey played there, I had 3 jackets on and still froze and never left the hotel room. I missed the trip to Canada and it would take a lot to keep Me off that "Happy Van" In Medicine Hat We stayed next to a strip bar, in 1985 during the Canadian Beer strike..

8. Member
    My Endurance is a good flipping stick, also have the 775 3d, I sometimes feel under powered so I want a beefier rod, finding one that isnt heavy in my hands.

hammer 7'6 extra heavy.
    Last edited by JohnD.; 07-24-2017 at 12:16 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    hammer 7'6 extra heavy.
    I think I would call Gary and ask if the Hammer is stouter then the Powell 775 you have. To get stouter then the Powell by any measurable amount a loomis FPR rod comes to mind. What many may not know replying to this thread is that the powell you have is a 5 power or exHeavy rod. I punch 1oz sinkers on it in Florida. Same rod in a fast action casts 3oz swimbaits
    2024 Phoenix 818

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayj View Post
    My Endurance is a good flipping stick, also have the 775 3d, I sometimes feel under powered so I want a beefier rod, finding one that isnt heavy in my hands.
    The Endurance 775 is a flipping stick rod but the 3D 775 is more of a med/heavy football jig rod. Look at the 3D 806 for a heavy flipping stick

12. Member
    Thanks for clarifying the ratings on the Endurance 775. I used a friends Max 3d to compare before ordering one. As jerryfishing stated its a softer rod. I may start looking for a original Max 765, I remember that being a little more powerful.

13. Member
    Does anyone know if the Dobyns Champion 766 flip is more power than the 775 Endurance?

14. Member
    Does anyone know if the Dobyns Champion 766 flip is more power than the 775 Endurance?
    Haven't used the endurance, but the 766 is a broomstick. I would only be using it in the heaviest of cover.

15. Member
    I looked into the 766 a little bit, and others have also stated its pretty stout. Ill look into a Champion 765 flip, it might be similar to my Endurance though. Thanks guys

16. Member
    I looked into the 766 a little bit, and others have also stated its pretty stout. Ill look into a Champion 765 flip, it might be similar to my Endurance though. Thanks guys
    You were on the right track of thinking though. Dobyns does tend to run a little on the lighter side of their power ratings, with the exceptions (IMO) being their flipping sticks. (at least champion and champion extremes). The 765 and 795 can handle a very wide range of weights, which I think is really exceptional. I would never have thought that after my first use with them throwing 3/4 oz weights (because it does have some tip), but after throwing magnum spoons and Alabama rigs with them, I love them. They are heavy work horses.

Check out the Dobyns HP 805 for a heavy duty flippin stick,with a great tip

18. Member
    The Powell 3D 795 is also a great flipping rod that can handle a wide variety of weights and I've pushed it to 3oz but I inherently think it is just a slower action slightly longer of the 3D 775 which the Poster feels is underpowered. I've fished the Dobyn 795 some months ago and felt it similar in power and action to the Powell 795. To me the OP needs a broomstick or he is splitting hairs.
    2024 Phoenix 818

19. Member
    Falcon Cara Amistad or the 7'5" Super Duty.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Falcon Cara Amistad or the 7'5" Super Duty.
    Yep--if OP is looking for a heavy flipping rod the 7' 5" Super Duty most definitely fits that description

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast