Thread: 2018 721 PRO XP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018 721 PRO XP

Well just got my bird last week. Still trying to get use to it. Came out of a Ranger Z520. So just still trying to figure out how to drive it. I have a z lock manual jack plate with a p2p of 3.25. Water psi is around 20, trim is between 1/4-1/2. I'm running Mercury Pro Xs with a fury 4 blade 25p prop. I have two power poles. It's getting around 65 then starts to walk. Full tank, tournament loaded, and me. I figure I should be getting more out of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Also having trouble loading it on the trailer it wants to keep going to the port side no matter how deep or shallow I take it. I have to push off the trailer to center it on the trailer. Both the bunks are flat on the bottom. Called and talked to Tim at Phoenix he said it's just tricky. I never had this much problems with loading a trailer.

Thanks guys for any help.

2018 PHOENIX 721 PROXP
    MERCURY PRO XS
    POWER POLES
    ULTREX 112 52"
    HUMMINGBIRD HELIX10 & LOWRANCE HDS 10
    AT CONSOLE
    HUMMINGBIRD HELIX 9 UP FRONT
    HYDRO WAVE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go easy on the trim. Go WOT and bump the trim up slow. Let the boat catch up to itself before bumping up some more. If it begins to get loose, bump back down and let off if necessary, then try again. Drive it where you can control the walk with steering wheel 'jabs' and bump up as you gain confidence. Your sweet spot will vary, but you will end up somewhere around 2-4 bumps down from full trim. It may take some time, but you'll get it.

When loading, try running it shallower. When it is loaded correctly, inspect all of your bunks to see if they're sitting square on the hull geometry. If they're not, you may need some bunk tweaking. All though it may be tricky, it should still load properly with out much effort. My 618 and 919 each load almost the exact same. Both of my kids load the boat with zero problems. My key is to stage shallow and power load.

Good luck, and welcome to the family! The 721 is one bad machine and IMO, the sleekest Bird out there!!

Where's the pics?!?

3. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Curious as to, Why the Fury 4 blade?

And, Oh yeah...Congrats!
    Need a bigger pic for my old eyes!

4. Member
    I will try again on the trim. I might have been coming up too fast. Also on the trailer loading if I go to shallow it's like it doesn't have enough power to go onto the trailer so I have to go deeper. It looked like the bunks were flush with the boat but I will check again. Thanks for the input

5. Member
    I have a fury 25p 3 blade already. But I am on ky lake what I have read is it's good for big water. I have been thinking about swapping to the 3 blade and trying it again. Just trying to get a feel for the boat so I figured the 4 blade would be better.

Thanks im excited about the boat. Just not a very patient man lol. It will all work itself out.

Im trying to figure this site. So hopefully I can post better pics.

6. Member
    That 4 blade will run higher than the 3 by quite a bit

7. Member
    The boat likes to load shallow. I keep my fenders about 4-5" out of the water, otherwise the nose comes in under the roller.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

When you put the 3 blade on it will load into the truck if you want it to.....

9. Member
    Thanks I will look at that. Tmoney

10. Member
    Really. Haven't heard of that. I will defiantly give it a try Scottcr

You'll need to drive it some. It'll be a bit different than your 520. Congrats on the new boat. You get it at ACS?
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

12. Member
    Yes Jason I did. Thanks

Good people down there.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

14. Member
    Back the trailer in to where the last two bunks have about 3 inches showing out of the water. It may very by ramp a little depending on how much the ramp drops off under the water.
    Eric Anderson
    Nashville Boating Center

15. Member
    I have played with the depth up and down on the bunks. My concern is I have read we're people are having the manufacture send shim kits for the bunks I'm not having a problem with the bow roller like most. It's really frustrating. I stayed 45 minutes the other night playing with the depth. Not much luck. I'm going to take it back to the dealer and let them play with it and see what they can do.

I've launched at probably 10 different Ramps with mine and I always get my outside bunks to just barely go under the water and it's perfect every time.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

17. Member
    Really I will give that a try tonight then. Hopefully it helps if not I have to take it to the dealer Friday I will get them to take it out and see how they do.

18. Member
    Oh thanks bye the way. Lol

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    I've launched at probably 10 different Ramps with mine and I always get my outside bunks to just barely go under the water and it's perfect every time.
    Same here. Been to at least 30 different ramps. Agree with above

20. bobby22
    Do you mind telling us why you didn't go back with the ranger. I am in a z118c and thinking about trading for a Phoenix 920. I also like the 520 ranger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast