Thermostat cleaning

250 Pro XS 1B731735

Took my stats out & cleaned them per Don's sticky. Did have some trash in them. Put them in hot water ( one at a time), both opened around 130 degrees. Had even more trash when they opened. So after cleaning, reinstalled per directions & flush engine. Muffs on, low water pics up covered. Before cleaning they would go to 120 then drop back to 112 & hold. Now they will go to 149 & stay there. Motor seem to run fine, telltale is very strong & no beeps. Turn it off, wait an hour or so. Turn ignition key on ( not starting the engine) & the gauge will climb back to 149 & hold. Again, motor is not running. Motor has been sitting a year before this & was never a problem. Drained gas, checked everything, put in cocktail, etc, motor turns over twice, maybe 3 times, fires right up, runs excellent.So what did I miss
    So what did I miss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Here is my gauge btw

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tracer1; 07-20-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: picture

2. Member
    Lake test it and report results.

Thanks for the reply savage but just out of curiosity, why wouldn't it cycle on muffs as it would on the lake. Seems like it should do something other than staying at 149.

One other question. How long does it take for the pressure to build back up in the fuel rail. Checked this morning after running yesterday & there is no pressure from the Schrader valve. Motor has not been cranked today but with key on, smart craft monitor still goes to 149. Seems to be the magic number!

Fuel and air pressure is produced while the motor is turning via the fuel pumps and air compressor. After sitting for an extended period of time I would be surprised if the rails maintained pressure for multiple hours.

With that being said, 3 revolutions of the flywheel spun at cranking speed by the starter should produce factory spec'd pressures at the air and fuel Schrader given all components are operating correctly. (Starter, Battery, Fuel Pumps, Diaphragms, Regulators, Compressor, etc.).

You can also obtain fuel pressure by just switching the key to the "ON" position however it will be LESS than when the motor is running. It obtains additional pressure from the Air Compressor when it is rotating.
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

I relieved the pressure yesterday before cleaning the thermostats & it has good pressure on it then. And it had been cranked 4 or 5 times last week & this week. But after cleaning the stats yesterday & checking the pressure today ( without cranking), there doesn't seem to be any pressure at the Schrader valve now. Motor cranks & runs fine, can run it for half an hour, no beeps or anything. Just the stats won't cycle. Thought maybe the rails had something to do with the temps.
    Thanks for your reply Thomas.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply savage but just out of curiosity, why wouldn't it cycle on muffs as it would on the lake. Seems like it should do something other than staying at 149.
    Results can be skewed when the water flow/pressure/temperature control to the motor is so variable depending on the city water pressure and how far you open the water hose valve......... I would lake test and if the results are the same, I would pull the stats again.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    One other question. How long does it take for the pressure to build back up in the fuel rail. Checked this morning after running yesterday & there is no pressure from the Schrader valve. Motor has not been cranked today but with key on, smart craft monitor still goes to 149. Seems to be the magic number!
    So your saying that after sitting since yesterday if you turn the key on without motor running the temp on monitor still shows 149*F ??

Yes....Ran it yesterday for about 30 minutes. Went out this morning, turned the ignition on, SmartCraft monitor ( center of console pic), climbed from 71 to 149 in 2 or 3 minutes. Was wondering if it's the temp sensor or monitor.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    [QUOTE-Drami04]Mine is doing same heats up to 149. And stays there. Cleans stats they were little dirty.[/QUOTE]

Folks... this is why we have a ONE ENGINE PER THREAD policy. Please do not add your engine or question into someone else's thread.

In this case- this thread had not been posted in since July of 2017.

Thank you for not hi-jacking threads... start your own, provide your serial number and we will be glad to help.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor