Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New LU gears....I hope I like them!!!

So after 2+ years of owning my XB21 with 300XS w/1.62 gears, I am making a change. I have loved almost everything about this boat except the hole shot.

No matter what I have tried, the holeshot has never been satisfactory for me. I run heavy (I know, that's subjective), but trust me, I'm heavy. I also weigh 250 lbs. I have tried at least 10 different props. 26's all the way to 29' props. Bravos, Pro Max, 2 different hydromotives, trophy, Pro ET. Lots of combos.

The ONLY prop that has a decent hole shot with full livewells and 2 boaters is a strong 24' hydro that was built specifically for hole shot.

I fish mostly Lanier and NEVER have a chance to stretch the 1.62's out although all of the props do well once on the pad.

I am putting 1.75 gears in my SM tomorrow. I am hoping to see a noticeable different in hole shot and acceleration. Not sure what pitch prop I will need, but I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I never have the opportunity to run more than 75-85 in short bursts so I don't think I will miss the top end capabilities of the 1.62's. Will post my results.

Lee- I know you tried to talk me into a 250XS w/1.75's....I didn't listen. The 300xs is way cooler I don't care what anyone says....LOL!!

HERES TO A GREAT HOLESHOT STARTING TOMORROW!!!

Any suggestion on prop sizes with the new gears? Projections on what to expect anyone?

Thanks- MET
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

2. BBC SPONSOR
    The 300xs has more exhaust relieved above the water so the holeshot is slower than a 250. If your loaded extremely heavy then you should be happy with 1.75s, especially if you can't/don't stretch one out.

For my style of fishin/running I would not be happy with 1.75s.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

3. Member
    28 to 29 promax or XOB. If you decide to sell those 1.62 gears let me know. I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on this switch.

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    me too......
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

I'm a happy heavily loaded switcher . Who has never looked back.. Can get out with full load and still pass anyone around here except my Allison buddies.

I have a 27 and 28 pro max. Both have poor hole shot with the 1.62's. Will probably be a starting point in prop experimentation with the 1.75's. Will keep all informed. I'm excited st the prospect of liking my hole shot as much as I like everything else about this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    I have a 27 and 28 pro max. Both have poor hole shot with the 1.62's. Will probably be a starting point in prop experimentation with the 1.75's. Will keep all informed. I'm excited st the prospect of liking my hole shot as much as I like everything else about this boat.
    I drilled 4 3/4" holes in my 30 promax last week for a total of 4 pvs and 4 3/4" holes. Holeshot went from 10 to11 seconds to under 6 and that is with a 30p in summer Texas heat. I tried 3/8" before going 3/4". 3/8" was 7 to 8 seconds. Everyone will say you are crazy for venting a promax more, but the 300XS with 1.62's needs a lot of venting. If you need more with 1.75's drill a four 1/4" holes and see how it turns out. 1/4" and 3/8" you can do with a drill pretty easy. The 3/4" I had to chuck the prop up on a bridgeport to hit them.

Jay has a 250 with 1.75's and he pulls a 30p promax out of the hole in 3 seconds and all his holes are plugged. I would think with the 1.75's she is going to pop those right out. The 300 exhausting is the only wild card.
    Last edited by River Rocket; 07-20-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    I drilled 4 3/4" holes in my 30 promax last week for a total of 4 pvs and 4 3/4" holes. Holeshot went from 10 to11 seconds to under 6 and that is with a 30p in summer Texas heat. I tried 3/8" before going 3/4". 3/8" was 7 to 8 seconds. Everyone will say you are crazy for venting a promax more, but the 300XS with 1.62's needs a lot of venting. If you need more with 1.75's drill a four 1/4" holes and see how it turns out. 1/4" and 3/8" you can do with a drill pretty easy. The 3/4" I had to chuck the prop up on a bridgeport to hit them.

Jay has a 250 with 1.75's and he pulls a 30p promax out of the hole in 3 seconds and all his holes are plugged. I would think with the 1.75's she is going to pop those right out. The 300 exhausting is the only wild card.
    What drill bit did you use
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

9. Member
    MET....how's it going so far?? Very interested to hear your results. What kind of ring is on your 28P Promax prop? Is it a thin ring tac welded on or does it look like a pre-made wedge type ring?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    MET....how's it going so far?? Very interested to hear your results. What kind of ring is on your 28P Promax prop? Is it a thin ring tac welded on or does it look like a pre-made wedge type ring?
    Craig- I have only had a chance to run the new gears for about an hour. Made no runs for speed. All just hole shot and cruising around. I have a 27p promax that Robbie worked. It has the flair ring that looks pre made and slotted and slips over the end of the barrel. It was the only prop I had with me to make the initial runs.

Hole shot with 1.75's is like night and day. The first couple of times there was very little excessive spool up and almost immediate response to throttle. The next several felt different. It was at that point I trimmed up and took a look and the flair ring was gone. The rest of the afternoon I had the pre-ring spool up to almost 5k rpm, but still way quicker. Want to say maybe 3 seconds out of the hole or so.

This is the second time the flair ring has turned loose on the 27. I have the welded one on my 26 and I have a 28 with the same fitted ring like the 27 that I haven't run yet.

I will post more as I have time to run the new gears and give updates on prop choices. No doubt however, the boat feels substantially quicker with 1.75's. I can't imagine I won't like the change. We will see.

11. Member
    I'm not so interested in your top end speed but rather everything else. Obviously hole shot, acceleration, RPM's with each prop on hole shot and how well they get out with or without spool up and of course what pitch you finally end up with for overall performance. Sounds good so far if it only took 3 seconds to get up and running with no flare ring!!!! Looking forward to more!!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

When I try other props I will video and post.

13. Member
    Could you please measure the stock length of the pro max barrel from end to end? I'm curious on the measurement
    thanks
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Craig- stock Pro Max barrel is a fraction over 7 inches.

SORRY- KINDA LONG***

Ok guys- I tested some props for HOLESHOT only since changing to the 1.75's. It was 93* out and awful humidity....85%+.

The boat was loaded to fish with 20+ rods/reels, 15 lbs Ice and drinks, 15 Gallons fuel, empty livewells (it was too hot and I was too lazy to fill them up), 15 lbs of tools and at least 45-50 lbs of plano boxes and plastics. Only me on board at a very handsome and fit 260lbs driving.

I will also say that I am not near as technical as many of you, and I am making some fairly loose guesses on time to plane, but I should be pretty close. I have video of all of the hole shots from the driver seat, but I am not going to try and post those.

Here are my impressions of the following:

1) 28 Stock Pro Max, no PVS, flare ring added- time to plane approx 4-5 seconds, very little bow rise, spools up and breaks over at around 4300-4700 RPM, Pulls really hard after it breaks over. The Promax feels VERY connected to the water, great bite and feels very smooth.

2) 27 Hydro quad IV- OT, very small vent holes drilled in the prop. Maybe 1/4-3/8". some bow rise, spools to 5600 rpm and planes in about 4 seconds. The prop spools up and also slips some, when it grabs, it is quick quick quick when it breaks over. Blistering acceleration actually. From 3500-5500, maybe one the hardest accelerating of all props I own.

3) 26 Pro ET bone stock- spools up hard to 57-5800, fairly substantial bow rise and a hole shot of 3-4 seconds. Really responsive and quick out of the hole. Really quick acceleration. Boat feels lighter and looser with this prop than all others, but feels fun ......alive.

4) 26 Pro Max - original welded on flare ring by Robbie and an experimental blade cut (maybe an Ally cut) not sure. The Blades are trimmed on the leading edges near the barrel. The flare ring doesn't stop all of the spooling. Still spools to 5400, not too much bow rise, and about 3.5 seconds to plane. This prop also accelerates well. Not as well as the ET or 27 Hydro, but quick.

5) Finally a 24" Hydro XOB that was built exclusively for hole shot. 2 sets of PVS all open. Some bow rise, fast out of the hole around 2.5-3 seconds. Spools up to 4800, breaks over and goes.

Not sure of the changes I will see when I add livewell water, partner, etc.

This is what I know for sure. Given that on Lake Lanier I never have the opportunity to stretch this boat out, and almost always make lots of very short runs throughout the day, the 24" Hydro is the most fun to run. Like driving a go cart. It is unbelievably responsive and really really quick.

I can always go up as the weather cools, or if I am making longer runs, but I think I can drive this 24" prop up to 80+ before I scare the limiter and it will get there fast. Day in and day out, 90% of my fastest runs on Lanier are 70-75.

Will continue to add other numbers as I find anything of interest to share. I know a 24" prop is small, but for my application, does really well.

Thanks- MET

16. Member
    I like my 24 XOB with 1.75 gears. I sent mine out for more bite so it hooks even harder out of the hole

17. Member
    Based on the prop slip calc with a 24p/1.75/6350 rpm the speed would be 79 with 4% slip and 75 with 8% slip. I would think that prop should run 8% or less. I know it's all theory but it is fairly close. Looking forward for the rest of your testing. I run a 300xs/sporty/1.75 in summer (wells empty) and turn my 28p Q4XOB 87 at 6330 solo going fishing (4-5 sec to plane) and my 30p Q4XOB 93 at 6150 with same fishing load and same hole shot. I know it's not a apple to apple comparison but it does give you info on 2 diff hydros.

18. Member
    I run my 27xob that has been stiffened to 86 mph at the beep with 1.75 gears and a 250 on my 2+2. I have never tried to stretch the legs with my 24 but I would venture to bet the beep from smartcraft would come at 77/78 mph before your closed to trimmed out. With the 27 the beep comes in 26/27 seconds from in gear idle before boat is fully trimmed out solo.

19. Member
    What rev limiter does your 250 have? The 300xs is right at 6400 and I try to keep it off the limiter.

20. Member
    I believe it is somewhere around 6300. Normally that's not the guage I'm looking at when running hard. I know to lift at the beep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast