Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Scraps
    I've gotten my upgrade prices to extend warranty from Mercury. To say the least the prices are astronomical IMO. All this talk about what is and isn't covered seems conveniently extreme in Mercury's case. Has me seriously considering a different brand motor. I don't hear these conversations about other brands.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesci99 View Post
    I think it was like $179 for the part and 1.5 hours labor at $105 a hour rate. So wasn't cheap, first one the dealership ate the labor cost and sold part to me at there cost since they told me would be covered under platinum warranty and let me go. Was about 6 hours from home at KY Lake. Jet-A-Marine was great to work with on that cant say so much for my local dealer.
    If you had to PAY for a Tracker Valve, that part has a 1-Year Parts AND LABOR Warranty of it's own. This only applies where you are paying for/purchasing the component that is being installed (as a Retail Consumer).

Just an FYI.

ALL engine brands have problems. And if you look in the right places, you will find folks who are disconcerted with what was or was not covered under warranty on ANY engine brand. If the brand's market share is lower... you'll probably have to look harder, but it's out there, too.

All that being said- ANY Product Protection Plan will be one of the following:

- A piece of paper, and some peace of mind if nothing ever happens

- A good investment if a failure of a COVERED component occurs

- Not of much help where wear or maintenance items are concerned.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

ALL engine brands have problems. And if you look in the right places, you will find folks who are disconcerted with what was or was not covered under warranty on ANY engine brand. If the brand's market share is lower... you'll probably have to look harder, but it's out there, too.
    This is one problem with the inner web and the information being posted thereon. The more popular the brand and model of motor the greater the number there are of them in service. The greater the number in service the greater the number of failures.

Bad news about Honda's is seldom heard. Mostly because there simply just aren't many being used. But Honda's do have problems. Thousands of Mercury's are in service so their problems will be posted here and on other forums time and time again. It can make a Mercury seem worse than a Honda when factually that may not be correct.

Same thing with how an engine maker dealers with extended service contracts.

Bad information travels far, wide and often. It can make a more reliable brand/model seem worse than a less reliable brand/model. Good news rarely leaves the house.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The fact that the tracker valve issue is nor covered is completely BS i went through 3 on my engine at my expense and was finally told by my dealer that mercury admitted to having a issue with them due to the manufacture of them. Then mercury paid for the 4th one and would not budge or help pay for labor cost just pay for the part. Then the part was back ordered. i understood the warranty but this was just ridiculous.
    Just an FYI: Something in this story is "suspect". Either the dealer has not been forthcoming with you (or with Mercury), OR you've misunderstood (or misrepresented) some material fact.

When you PURCHASE Mercury Parts and Accessories as a Retail Consumer, you have a "1-year Parts and Labor Warranty against Defects in Materials or Workmanship". That warranty is good at ANY Authorized Mercury Dealer- Proof of Retail Purchase is required as a condition of coverage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I provided the mercury dealership in my area with the receipt from Jet- A Marine, which they had asked for if i had it. I left and got a call a few days later from local place stated the part and labor would not be covered. I personally called Mercury and they gave me the run around. Then a few months later I was fishing and same thing happened again so I just purchased my own instead of dealing with the hassle and outrageous mark up at my local mercury dealer. Once again ran fine for a few months then would not start and was flooding 2 cylinders cant remember which ones off top of my head. So this time I took it in and was and it was the same thing again the tracker valve had a tear in it. They got mercury to warranty the part but said they would not the labor. I was so aggravated and chalked it up to just a bad motor and mercury service center. Soon as i got it out of shop i took it and traded it in on a New 2016 Ranger 520 with a mercury 250 pro xs. Lets hope for better luck on this one.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A good dealer would have had a concise answer by the second sentence in Post# 45.

JMHO....

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ofishinrod View Post
    I've recently blown 3 tracker valves in the last 6 weeks with minimal use in between. I have a platinum warranty and Mercury has paid everything thus far. My service guy says they know they have defective parts on the market. But why 3 valves in such a short period no one seems to want to figure out. 2013 Mercury 200 Pro XS.
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and open a separate thread, with the required engine info. Thanks!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and open a separate thread, with the required engine info. Thanks!
    What's the point? So the thread that someone revives and gets thousands of views dies..... or so that someone can actually help, because all I received from Mercury was a bill on top of my Platinum Warranty bill.

9. Member
    I provided the mercury dealership in my area with the receipt from Jet- A Marine, which they had asked for if i had it. I left and got a call a few days later from local place stated the part and labor would not be covered. I personally called Mercury and they gave me the run around. Then a few months later I was fishing and same thing happened again so I just purchased my own instead of dealing with the hassle and outrageous mark up at my local mercury dealer. Once again ran fine for a few months then would not start and was flooding 2 cylinders cant remember which ones off top of my head. So this time I took it in and was and it was the same thing again the tracker valve had a tear in it. They got mercury to warranty the part but said they would not the labor. I was so aggravated and chalked it up to just a bad motor and mercury service center. Soon as i got it out of shop i took it and traded it in on a New 2016 Ranger 520 with a mercury 250 pro xs. Lets hope for better luck on this one.
    Good luck, you will either get a lemon or a gem. Did you open a second mortgage on the Platinum Extended Warranty?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123