Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Conflicting Information about Mercury Platinum Warranty Coverage

250hp 2014 Pro Xs SERIAL #2B089144 with a smart guage starts acting up and idling between rpms 900-1300 fluctuating a lot. Called up a shop and they said it was the Throttle Positioning Sensor and probably a Diaphragm, mentioned it was all covered under the platinum warranty but they are slammed and can't get me in for 4-5 weeks. Called another shop with the same answer and that it would be covered under the warranty, also 4-5 weeks out on getting it looked at. The last shop I called had it looked at within a few days and ordered the parts and said everything would be covered, and that it would ready in 1.5-2 weeks once the parts came in.

Went to pick up my boat and saw the technician there and said hello's and thank you for seeing it so quickly. He mentioned I just have to go in and sign for it, everything else was taken care of. KABOOM, surprise!!! Mercury won't cover a part and I'm out $540 for a diaphragm, the tech walks in when I'm pulling out my CC and says, "that should be covered". The other person ringing me up says, Mercury denied it this time.

Deflated and confused based on what the 3 different shops had told me initially, I called Mercury and spoke to someone and he mentioned only in certain instances will it be covered under the platinum warranty. We continue to speak for about 15 seconds so I can get a deeper explanation, Zing! the line went dead and lost the call, after calling back and being on hold I decided to call a different day. Spoke to someone today and was told "anything rubber on the motor will never be covered".

What gives? seems like I'm playing a game with house rules that nobody really knows what is going on, and the rules keep changing depending on who you're talking to.
    Last edited by sdm1568; 08-04-2017 at 02:59 PM.

2. Member
    What these engines cost new it's a shame they won't cover it

3. Member
    Just received a copy of the Platinum warranty information from Mercury due to the information seen on BBC that had me also wondering exactly what was and wasn't covered. I don't have it in front of me at the moment but it reads something like " all wear items, seals, and gaskets are not covered". I'm assuming the diaphragm is considered a wear item?
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

4. Member
    It's for this very reason I will stick with my old efi seems like they cover just what they want to and can change their mind at any time it's not just one brand you see more of this on all of them but when you own the playground you can make the rules and change them as you want still does not mak it right

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm1568 View Post
    250hp 2014 Pro Xs starts acting up and idling between rpms 900-1300 fluctuating a lot. Called up a shop and they said it was the Throttle Positioning Sensor and probably a Diaphragm, mentioned it was all covered under the platinum warranty but they are slammed and can't get me in for 4-5 weeks. Called another shop with the same answer and that it would be covered under the warranty, also 4-5 weeks out on getting it looked at. The last shop I called had it looked at within a few days and ordered the parts and said everything would be covered, and that it would ready in 1.5-2 weeks once the parts came in.

Went to pick up my boat and saw the technician there and said hello's and thank you for seeing it so quickly. He mentioned I just have to go in and sign for it, everything else was taken care of. KABOOM, surprise!!! Mercury won't cover a part and I'm out $540 for a diaphragm, the tech walks in when I'm pulling out my CC and says, "that should be covered". The other person ringing me up says, Mercury denied it this time.

Deflated and confused based on what the 3 different shops had told me initially, I called Mercury and spoke to someone and he mentioned only in certain instances will it be covered under the platinum warranty. We continue to speak for about 15 seconds so I can get a deeper explanation, Zing! the line went dead and lost the call, after calling back and being on hold I decided to call a different day. Spoke to someone today and was told "anything rubber on the motor will never be covered".

What gives? seems like I'm playing a game with house rules that nobody really knows what is going on, and the rules keep changing depending on who you're talking to.
    The contract is crystal clear with respect to "diaphragms". Look at the "Consumables" clause within the contract. It specifically excludes diaphragms.

Normal wear and tear is also excluded. A diaphragm could also be excluded under this section of the contract if it just plumb wore out.

Read the contract, read the contract, read the contract.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    The contract is crystal clear with respect to "diaphragms". Look at the "Consumables" clause within the contract. It specifically excludes diaphragms.

Normal wear and tear is also excluded. A diaphragm could also be excluded under this section of the contract if it just plumb wore out.

Read the contract, read the contract, read the contract.

I'm not disputing what's in the contract just more or less with the 3 shops understanding of what's covered as well as the Mercury rep that mentioned in some cases the Diaphragm is covered. It seems as if you get the right person on the phone there's a possibility of being covered, but there's still a big disparity between what's understood between the shops, consumer, and Mercury.

7. Member
    This is exactly why I would never ever buy any warranty of any kind. Shame so many people think they can't live with out a warranty.

8. Member
    +1000 Never buy warranty or so called service plan. Put money in bank and pay for repairs yourself. These plans are sold to make a profit.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm1568 View Post
    I'm not disputing what's in the contract just more or less with the 3 shops understanding of what's covered as well as the Mercury rep that mentioned in some cases the Diaphragm is covered. It seems as if you get the right person on the phone there's a possibility of being covered, but there's still a big disparity between what's understood between the shops, consumer, and Mercury.
    Dealers don't read the contracts. Consumers should, but generally don't, read the contracts. Too boring. Vast chance that it will never be needed anyway.

Dealers should not be telling a customer that something is covered contractually until they have confirmed it with Mercury.

The parts being not covered under the contract, or being specifically excluded by the contract, does not mean that Mercury won't sometimes give them away for free on a goodwill basis. Folks come to think it is a contract requirement. It is not. It is Mercury's graciousness.

Think of it like this. I don't owe you anything. I could send you a hundred bucks if I wanted to. You tell your buddy and he thinks I am going to give him a hundred bucks also. I might not. He might then think that I am screwing him.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    +1000 Never buy warranty or so called service plan. Put money in bank and pay for repairs yourself. These plans are sold to make a profit.
    Just depends upon ones level of risk taking. I never ever pay for comprehensive coverage on any of the vehicles that I buy new. Have done this for 50 years. I take the risk. Now if on my next car/truck I drive it into a ditch on the way home then it will all come out of my pocket. Some simply can't/won't live their lives this way.

But you are correct, the contracts are money makers for Mercury and the contract underwriter. Many will never need to use a contract. A few will. Who can tell the differences between those that won't need a contract and those that will. It is crap shoot.

11. Member
    He has a 3 year old engine don't know the hours but Surely Mercury can make something last longer than three years not trying to argue but in my opinion is somebody doesn't care about the product they are building and selling and that's not good but I'm sure they make more money this way I personally don't agree with it just the way I look at it

12. Member
    If a dealer is selling the warranty then they should darn well know what is in them and be trained enough to be able to convey that to the consumer. Otherwise they will no doubt misrepresent what is covered or not. If it was misrepresented t would be like your buddy selling a customer your IOU that guarantees that you will pay them $100, and then you reneging and saying it was the customer's fault for trusting your buddy.
    Last edited by Northern Bob; 07-20-2017 at 07:34 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdparrish View Post
    He has a 3 year old engine don't know the hours but Surely Mercury can make something last longer than three years not trying to argue but in my opinion is somebody doesn't care about the product they are building and selling and that's not good but I'm sure they make more money this way I personally don't agree with it just the way I look at it

I think I have around 97 hrs, platinum warranty was extended to 2019 Unfortunately! Living in Southern Ca it only takes a few minutes to get around our ponds.

14. Member
    $540 seems expensive for a diaphram. Do you know which one it was? Tracker valve diaphram is about $100 and maybe .5hrs to r&r. Also did they give you the old parts back?

15. Member
    If Mercury was building a car and this is the best they can do they would not keep the doors open for long sorry for your problems 97 hours is not even broke in yet

Unfortunately mercury platinum doesn't carry warranty on seals and gaskets as we all know now. But ya it is bullshit. I've been an Honda /Acura auto tech 20 years ans have worked in dealerships for 25 years and under a factory warranty and after market platinum plan warranties all seals and gaskets are covered. The only things considered normal wear and tear are brake pads and shoes and clutch disc but boats don't have these items so guess they have to hit you with some kind of wear and tear item
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    $540 seems expensive for a diaphram. Do you know which one it was? Tracker valve diaphram is about $100 and maybe .5hrs to r&r. Also did they give you the old parts back?
    Part #804553 (diaphragm assembly) and 98-8M6002988 (diaphragm kit). I'll have to look around the boat for the old part, I remember seeing a small white box.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdparrish View Post
    If Mercury was building a car and this is the best they can do they would not keep the doors open for long sorry for your problems 97 hours is not even broke in yet
    Ha!!! I've always said the same thing! I like my merc but when you look at consumer cost, hours you put on them, and the care we put into them, I don't care what make; they don't hold up like they should at all. But in retrospect if you look at from a performance standpoint, these engines are built and run like race engines. Performance engines have to be freshened up every so often. Is it right or wrong who's to say. But yes none of them seem to hold up like a vehicle would.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    Ha!!! I've always said the same thing! I like my merc but when you look at consumer cost, hours you put on them, and the care we put into them, I don't care what make; they don't hold up like they should at all. But in retrospect if you look at from a performance standpoint, these engines are built and run like race engines. Performance engines have to be freshened up every so often. Is it right or wrong who's to say. But yes none of them seem to hold up like a vehicle would.
    Absolutely and totally agree 100%
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

In my mind a covered diaphragm would be torn from material defects. I cant hardly believe yours was worn being that it only had 97 hours on it. It comes down to what the service guy wrote down on the work order, "Worn or Torn" I woould imagine.
    /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.htc.sense.browser/files/TMP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast