Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm1568 View Post
    Part #804553 (diaphragm assembly) and 98-8M6002988 (diaphragm kit). I'll have to look around the boat for the old part, I remember seeing a small white box.
    Diaphragm kit is $191.00 list price. Not sure why you need a diaphragm assembly and a diaphragm kit. List price on the diaphragm is like $160.00 or so. Does not make sense to me. I had new fuel diaphragm, alternator belt, labor and all was $340 and change from a Mercury marine dealer.

2. Banned
    I'm not disputing what's in the contract just more or less with the 3 shops understanding of what's covered as well as the Mercury rep that mentioned in some cases the Diaphragm is covered. It seems as if you get the right person on the phone there's a possibility of being covered, but there's still a big disparity between what's understood between the shops, consumer, and Mercury.
    Sometimes it's a matter of asking the correct question.

If a guy calls Mercury and asks if a diaphragm is covered by the contract the answer will be no.

If a guy calls Mercury and asks if a diaphragm not covered by the contact can be provided at no charge by Mercury, on a goodwill basis, then the answer might be yes.

Some times two guys post and one will say Mercury denied their contract claim while the other might say Mercury paid for what he thought was a contract claim. In the latter case it was goodwill provided by Mercury. First guy was a shithead and blasted Mercury because the part failed. Second guy was nice and polite.

Call Mercury Customer Support and politely ask what goodwill they can provide. You might be pleasantly surprised.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    Sometimes it's a matter of asking the correct question.

Call Mercury Customer Support and politely ask what goodwill they can provide. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I have done just this as is as well as ask if I can get a price break and perhaps pay for the 2 parts at cost and was told "sorry the request has already been ruled on and denied".

4. Member
    Bottom line is that Mercury does not cover soft parts unless they fail because of a hard part. The real issue at this point is that the dealer might have over charged you which is adding insult to injury. If the bill was $200-300 it would be much less difficult to except. The PN# that you post was 804553 could it be 804533 which is the tracker valve?

I have done just this as is as well as ask if I can get a price break and perhaps pay for the 2 parts at cost and was told "sorry the request has already been ruled on and denied".

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    Bottom line is that Mercury does not cover soft parts unless they fail because of a hard part. The real issue at this point is that the dealer might have over charged you which is adding insult to injury. If the bill was $200-300 it would be much less difficult to except. The PN# that you post was 804553 could it be 804533 which is the tracker valve?
    No they said specifically it was a diaphragm and diaphragm kit assembly, just verified it on the paperwork. I could swallow $250-300 but it's still hard to palate based on the large amount of misinformation being spun.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    +1000 Never buy warranty or so called service plan. Put money in bank and pay for repairs yourself. These plans are sold to make a profit.
    Don't buy the motor either, they sell them to make a profit also. Though, I get your point, not sure if I bought a new motor I would buy extended plan or not. I have always wondered what the cost break down on a new outboard is. Wonder how much an outboard would cost if they didn't include warranty cost in the price of a new outboard. Bet it would be a decent amount cheaper.

7. Member
    Time for a Yammie? Seems like quite a few people are switching. Is there a thread that comes to mind where people have talked about the Pro's and Cons of both?

You can go Yammie if you want but I will stick with Mercury. I believe so many of these frustrations with Mercury begin with dealers who mis-speak or are clueless. Folks go to the closest/cheapest "Mercury guy" in the area and expect way too much IMO. They also think that a motor "warranty" covered everything that goes wrong with the motor. It does't just like your truck. I do think that Mercury should cover the Tracker and Pressure Regulator diaphragms but they do not and I knew this when I signed the dotted line.

Mercury has always been good to me. Don is my dealer and has worked with Mercury on a couple of warranty/product protection issues with results the EXCEEDED my expectations. You guys need to get yourself a better dealer.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post

Mercury has always been good to me. Don is my dealer and has worked with Mercury on a couple of warranty/product protection issues with results the EXCEEDED my expectations. You guys need to get yourself a better dealer.
    Good point.

Having a good close relationship with a dealer can do wonders for a customer. One of the first things that Mercury might ask the dealer is "is this a good customer? Do you think he had nothing to do with the failure? Do you want him to be helped?"

Mercury might be sitting on the fence when it comes to providing goodwill. If a dealer advocates for the customer that will go a long way towards goodwill being provided. Maybe by both the dealer and Mercury. Mercury can provide parts and dealer can pay for some/all of the labour.

If the dealer does not speak well of the customer or says hell no to goodwill, guess what?

10. Member
    Not telling you not to Get a Yamaha don't think Mercury is taking care of customers like they should but I'm sure Yamaha has some problems also the marine engines in general don't cover what they should for the cost of these engines

11. Member
    Good point.

Having a good close relationship with a dealer can do wonders for a customer. One of the first things that Mercury might ask the dealer is "is this a good customer? Do you think he had nothing to do with the failure? Do you want him to be helped?"

Mercury might be sitting on the fence when it comes to providing goodwill. If a dealer advocates for the customer that will go a long way towards goodwill being provided. Maybe by both the dealer and Mercury. Mercury can provide parts and dealer can pay for some/all of the labour.

If the dealer does not speak well of the customer or says hell no to goodwill, guess what?
    Oh, if only we could all have dealers like Don.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Part #804553 (diaphragm assembly) and 98-8M6002988 (diaphragm kit). I'll have to look around the boat for the old part, I remember seeing a small white box.
    These are two DIFFERENT parts. The first one was almost certainly 804533 (Tracker Valve), and the later one 8M6002988 was used in the Fuel or Air Pressure regulator Diaphram.

Parts alone add up to more than $325... if that helps you compute it out.

Platinum Coverage does NOT cover fuel rail diaphragms.

sdm1568... Please see the Forum Announcements, and update your first post in the thread with the REQUIRED info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    These are two DIFFERENT parts. The first one was almost certainly 804533 (Tracker Valve), and the later one 8M6002988 was used in the Fuel or Air Pressure regulator Diaphram.

Parts alone add up to more than $325... if that helps you compute it out.

Platinum Coverage does NOT cover fuel rail diaphragms.

sdm1568... Please see the Forum Announcements, and update your first post in the thread with the REQUIRED info. Thanks!

My apologies, just added the Engine SERIAL #2B089144.

14. Member
    Good point.

Is this a good customer as in, someone that fishes tournaments and would look bad if our motors didn't perform or someone who spent 20k on an engine and is just an average Joe Smoe that likes to fish?

So perhaps I need to buddy up to a dealer and spend 2-3k on parts and labor over the course of a few years in order to have some weight when something like this comes up.... then and only then might they advocate and from there I have a slight possibility of receiving a bit of "goodwill".

I guess that whole adage of "you get what you pay for" doesn't seem to ring true with Mercury products or their service.

15. Banned
    A "good customer" is whatever any particular dealer decides him to be. Not my call.

Just being friendly and pleasant to the dealer, with stuff that looks to be well taken care of, might be all that is needed. Most dealers want to help. "Yes sir, we will try to get your motor fixed ASAP and will call Mercury to see if they can help".

Showing up out of the blue and being pissy with the dealer, demanding that stuff be fixed yesterday, berating the product to the dealer, with a not so old boat and motor that look like they both have been rode hard and put away wet, might make one to be perceived as a non-good customer. As in "take your sh1t down the road, we don't need your stinkin business".

16. Member
    Totally agree Jethro1, although kindness and patience seems to travel less now than it used to.

17. Banned
    Totally agree Jethro1, although kindness and patience seems to travel less now than it used to.
    I certainly agree with that.

18. Member
    The fact that the tracker valve issue is nor covered is completely BS i went through 3 on my engine at my expense and was finally told by my dealer that mercury admitted to having a issue with them due to the manufacture of them. Then mercury paid for the 4th one and would not budge or help pay for labor cost just pay for the part. Then the part was back ordered. i understood the warranty but this was just ridiculous.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesci99 View Post
    The fact that the tracker valve issue is nor covered is completely BS i went through 3 on my engine at my expense and was finally told by my dealer that mercury admitted to having a issue with them due to the manufacture of them. Then mercury paid for the 4th one and would not budge or help pay for labor cost just pay for the part. Then the part was back ordered. i understood the warranty but this was just ridiculous.
    What were the costs incurred every time the tracker valve went out? Hopefully this doesn't become my fate, sorry to hear about your misfortune.

20. Member
    I think it was like $179 for the part and 1.5 hours labor at $105 a hour rate. So wasn't cheap, first one the dealership ate the labor cost and sold part to me at there cost since they told me would be covered under platinum warranty and let me go. Was about 6 hours from home at KY Lake. Jet-A-Marine was great to work with on that cant say so much for my local dealer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast