WHY!!!!!????????????

Been having problems lately with my driver. Every so often I just DUCK HOOK one left. Got a tourney coming up on a course that is scorable. I went there the other day just to see if it could be played effectively without driver. Well, I shot a 38-38 with 8 pars and a double bogey on each side. YEP...both double bogeys came when I insisted to myself to hit driver on par 5's to bring reaching and birdie on the hole into play. DUCK HOOKED both of the drives OB left!! Why does this game outsmart you EVERY TIME?? I hit my 5 wood 230 and it is my bread and butter club in the bag. My putter is the only club I hit straighter!! Next time driver is staying home...that way it can't talk to me when I am back there selecting a club to hit!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/avatars/longrodder.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1383747738

2. Member
    Course management is the best way to improve scoring, yet I still screw it up...I'm always left asking why I did that

3. Member
    Most likely a combination od over closing the club face and swinging from the inside to out. Or your swing is on plane and the club face is still closed. Regardless for some reason your most likely pulling it with a closed face if it's duck hooking. For some reason in your mind your most likely trying to kill the ball and not realizing it and it's causing the unseen mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    Most likely a combination od over closing the club face and swinging from the inside to out. Or your swing is on plane and the club face is still closed. Regardless for some reason your most likely pulling it with a closed face if it's duck hooking. For some reason in your mind your most likely trying to kill the ball and not realizing it and it's causing the unseen mistake.
    Back some 30 + years ago I could hit a great driver off the tee. A penetrating, rising ball with a slight draw. 280 - 300 yds was possible and that was with a real Wood.

But at least once, sometimes twice a round I'd hit a vicious duck hook. It was always due to a little tension on my part which caused my transition at the top to get ever so slightly hurried and then I'd come over the top which naturally closed the clubface. I could feel when it was happening but I couldn't stop it. Making sure I had the tension out of my body so I would swing freely was always the answer.

If the OP is already pre-planning a par 5 so as to make it 2 shots onto the green, he's already putting pressure on himself that will create tension. You're best to play for best position in the fairway and don't start playing that 2nd shot in your mind till you've successfully put the ball into play on the tee shot.

5. Member
    I've done that way too many times as well. The guys I play with a lot always ask why I hit driver. My 3W is about 10 yards shorter and a lot more accurate. But it's golf. A game we love to hate.

Good luck in your tournament!
    08 Triton 17 Explorer/08 90 Merc

6. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Make sure your body keeps turning through the shoot with your driver. The harder you swing left the less it will go there.

7. Member
    Leave the driver home and use a 3 wood.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Make sure your body keeps turning through the shoot with your driver. The harder you swing left the less it will go there.
    This^^^^^ when I duck hook from time to time, it's usually because I move my head in front of ball on down swing and/or grip too tight. When I move my head forward, it essentially prevents my body turn to left and throws my arms around too fast.

If I get my takeaway too flat,it's going LEFT!