Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinions on the best cover.

I've been kinda looking for the past couple of months but the time has finally come. The original shipping cover has finally bit the dust and I gotta get one.
    I keep it under a carport at home but when out of town I'll need one that's secure and won't hold 200 gallons of water if it rains too. Not really wanting to have to get something custom made unless that's the best option
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

I really like my ratcheting cover from Dowco. You should be able to find one at the Bass Pro website, search on eBay, or you can order direct from Dowco.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

3. Member
    Thanks. I've seen them online but wanted some people's personal opinions before I ordered one. I've checked out the covers on iboat too
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

4. Member
    I have a Dowco. It had a couple of leaks. I took it back and they replaced it. I have the new one ready to go if we ever get rain again.

5. Member
    I have a Dowco and it has a few spots where it is starting to tear by the windshield. Have had it for about a year now and use it when trailing to the lake. I have contacted Dowco customer service multiple times via email to make a claim and have not been contacted about this issue yet (been 3 months since first contact was attempted). I am very disappointed in the product and service. For the amount of money you pay for Dowco products you would expect better service. As of now I would never recommend to anyone or ever purchase their products again. Very disappointed customer here.

6. Member
    ^^^ Thanks. I've been pricing covers and by far they are the most expensive even going through BPS. I've looked at a couple of others also. One was a WeatherMax from boatcovers.com and the Endura from iboats.com. Even with some accessories like support poles they were still around $150-200 less. And there's the option of having the motor cover part of the boat cover which I'd prefer instead of being two different pieces. Just don't have many reviews on those brands
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

7. Member
    I have a 2013 Z9 that came with the Dowco when I bought it used. It tore at 2 seems straight across and also at the bow, I had it resewed but for only being less than 4 years old I would think it should be far more durable for the price. Going forward when it's life is over I will go back to using cheap amazon covers and replacing every couple years.

8. Member
    If you aren't going to trailer with the cover, then buy the cheapest you can find. I don't trailer with the cover and use one sold by Walmart. I can buy many of them for the price of a Dowco cover....LOL The Dowco cover I originally had came apart in three years but I have to store the boat outside and they don't like sun....LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

9. Member
    I just priced a custom made from a local shop for my boat. About a grand. He explained why and I understand why my 'cheap' covers I have purchased have failed. Just hard to bite the bullet and have it done.

10. Member
    Yeah I don't see me spending a grand for a cover either. The Dowco and the others come with a five year warranty so there's no difference there.
    I'm probably gonna go with the one from boatcovers.com since I can get the straps for free and the supports for another $30 whenever I have it outside at a hotel or something to keep the rain from ponding on it. And still come in a lot cheaper than the Dowco.
    Thanks guys
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

11. Bassturbatin'
    I really liked my Dowco ratcheting cover, but when I put a fortrex on my boat it tore at the seams. Guess that's my fault though.
    Ole Miss Fishing Team

2012 Nitro Z8
    Pro XS 200

Aurora makes a great low profile strapless, ratchet cover. The Aqualon would be good for your use. Should be about $850. If you want the Sunbrella Premium, it aill be about $1250.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    Custom is the way to go. We finally had it done and wont ever having another off the shelf cover again. They dont cost that much more than off the shelf but last much longer.
    2005 Tracker PT175
    1987 Ranger 373V Bassmasters Classic

14. Member
    Be careful with the Dowco covers. Purchased one with my new Z21. I've had it for about a 2 months. It leaks and ratchet system is a POS. Called Nitro they basically told me to F.O. Really disappointed in their customer service. I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" about Nitro but my first experience with their customer service and I'm already questioning the money I saved to buy the Nitro. Don't get me wrong, I love the boat. But nowadays it's all about customer service. Ranger covers are absolutely awesome and their customer service is much better (so far) than Nitro.

Have not had a problem with my Dowco's, does not leak and the ratchet system is good. I did have one tear when i was towing but i soon figure out I was not securing it correctly.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    BMCD, could you elaborate of securing it properly?

I have had two Dowco's for my last two boats, Z8 & Z21 both have been solid.
    Last edited by BMCD; 07-26-2017 at 12:37 PM.

On my 2014 boat, I did not have the cover on tight enuff. I have learned to pull on it so the cover basically makes a line to the tm, no droop. There are winshield grooves in the cover and those should fit on top of the windshield.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

18. Member
    BMCD, That is exactly how my cover fits as well. Thanks for the quick reply!

19. Member
    Now I'm second guessing what I'm gonna do. lol
    I'm not planning on trailering with mine on but I really like my friends Skeeter cover and he can trailer with his.
    My wallet is starting to get nervous
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

20. Member
    I've had my Dowco for 2 years now. Have only one tear and it was from the trolling motor prop. I remove it now and no problems. I tow with it on when there is a possibility for weather or I am going on longer trips. (Just another thing to keep thieves out) I would buy another.
    Nick Frazer
    YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Pin2win201

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast