Travel trailer or fifth wheel?

What do you have and why? It is what I previously had and I like the idea of a fifth wheel because then I could pull the boat behind it and the extra storage space but it would require a new tow vehicle. Right now about 99% of the time I would probably be able to get away with a travel trailer and kayak with the places I go and the usual 3-4 day trips. I would just need to find one that fits the family and fits the tow capacity of the truck.

2. Banned
    I owned 2 travel trailers,now have a 5th wheel I like it better.Tows better,easier to hitch and unhitch ,much more storage.
    In your case you could tow the boat but sounds like you would need to upgrade trucks.Hey if you can afford it go with the 5 th wheel,if not do what you have to do.

3. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    A 5th wheel is going to be easier to tow because of the weight distribution over the rear truck axle. You also don't need the weight distribution hitch. The cons are that you lose some bed space for the 5th wheel hitch and, on larger 5th wheels, probably need a heavy duty truck with lots of payload. My recommendation after having owned a lot of campers from pop-ups, ultra light trailers, larger travel trailers, and three 5th wheels is to stay in your budget. You can quickly keep climbing the ladder on features, size, weight, and then you need a diesel truck.

4. Member
    Fully understand about the fifth wheel and have owned one in the past. When I got the last truck the plan was to get a cabin instead of a camper and I had no reason for a heavy duty diesel which I had before and got rid of (stupid me). Now it's looking like plans will change and we might be back to looking at campers in the next year or so. Not that we can't afford it but more so we only want one vehicle payment at a time and the wife says her vehicle is next.

5. Member
    The wife and I just bought a 38' 5th wheel about a month ago. Going to be pulling it a couple of hours tomorrow, I hope all goes well.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

6. Member
    I thought I wanted a 5er when I got ready to buy my latest one. Had two different bumper pulls in the last 22 years. Looked at a bunch of 5ers and bumper pulls both and went back with a bumper pull. The fifth wheels are just so tall and we don't like the step up to the front. They pull better? Probably so, but I know my 2017 travel trailer pulls much better than my 1998 did. Not really sure why but I know it does. They are almost exactly same length and weight but the newer pulls better. Maybe better distribution of weight, IDK. I also use an Anderson No Sway hitch on this new one, which is the cat's meow for WDH. It's so much lighter and easier to hook up and adjust than the spring bar type it's amazing. You guys that are pulling bumper pulls using the old style WDH need to check them out.

7. Banned
    I had a bumper pull travel trailer for 20 years, and never felt that comfortable towing it with an equalizer hitch and sway control. My new fifth wheel trailer pulls so much better, but there again I'm pulling it with a diesel crew cab pickup. Our fifth wheel is very plush with 4 sliders, and it's the cat's meow.

Those that need to take their boat along are somewhat in a dilemma. I do not like double towing--even if some states allow it. You're smart to consider alternatives like using a kayak to fish from. An other alternative is to use an inflatable boat and small outboard.

If you consider going to a travel trailer, there are a number of different kinds. You've got the kind that the top half slides down. And you've got pop up campers that are very popular. Flat bottom jon boats can be mounted on racks on top of either.

You've got hybrids that have beds slide out of the front and back. But if you go with a standard travel trailer, be sure to use a high quality equalizer hitch like a Blue Ox that can just about take away any sway--for safety's sake.

5th wheel all the way if you already have the truck to pull it. Much easier to pull and tons more comfortable to hang out in.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I've towed a lot of different trailers a lot of miles, and a 5th wheel or gooseneck is way more stable going down the road. Swaying is about impossible, even during rapid maneuvers or with a poorly distributed load.

Going forward, a 5th wheel will have a turning edge, but going back the slow response about cancels out the sharper turning you can do.

The extra height going down the road is an issue for air resistance, but it gets you enough head room inside that most people can stand up in the slides and bedroom. I'd hit my head 10 times a day with a TT slide. There are some shorter rigs that don't sit so tall.

Hitch is more expensive in a 5er.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Got a bumber pull because I got a hell of a deal on it. Use it for a deer camp during deer season and also take it on trips during summer. But I also have two trucks and an explorer so pulling boats for us isn't a problem