Thread: New prop setup

New prop setup

Can anyone help me setup my 99 209 225 promax. Was previously running a 25p predator, holeshot was fantastic and great on gas, recently spun a hub and put on the Mazco 25p hp4 I had built, tried it once before and took it right back off, terrible holeshot for my current setup. Long story short I think I'm out of adjustment on factory 10" jack plate and running 16psi WOT with Mazco. Prop to pad is 4". Any other option without putting on hydraulic jp. I would appreciate any help! I have pics of jp but don't know how to post them on here.

2. Member
    4 inches sounds deep. Dial it up to 3" and go from there. Your water pressure is fine. Keep an eye on your WP as you are raising motor. 3" is a good starting place for most G boats. What rpms does it turn coming out of the hole? Most of our props need worked to provide all around good performance on a G. Some cupping will help coming out of hole if rpms are there. Mark Croxton in the prop section of this board is very good at modifying props for best G boat mix of holeshot and all around fishin use. 25 Trophy is also a good prop for your setup. I am thinking the Mazco is a good choice on lighter hulls like allison or bullet but may not be a good choice on a G 209 hull. Just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by GamblerSam; 07-21-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    Gambler Outlaw 1900 SC
    Mercury Optimax 200 3.0 liter Torquemaster
    Mercury Trophy 25P
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    Garmin 106sv Ultra & 93sv UHD

3. Member
    That's what my problem is, I think my jackplate is maxed out at 4" and I find that hard 2 believe from setups I've read on here. I had pics but can't get them 2 load.

4. Member
    Can you post a pic of your jackplate and motor?
    Gambler Outlaw 1900 SC
    Mercury Trophy 25P
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

5. Member
    I can't get pictures to load on here. Can I sent thru email or text?

6. Member
    Can you raise the motor? If not, you may need to get a small hydraulic hoist and lift the motor and change the mounting holes on the motor. Need a pic to see if that is the issue.
    Gambler Outlaw 1900 SC
    Mercury Trophy 25P
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

7. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    What are you thinking?

I see a motor with the plate all the way up, and the motor mounted in the 4th hole from the top, which says you may be slightly too high..The other measure pics dont do much for me...dont think your prop to pad measure is correct, the motor looks plenty high in that one pic...I would just rehub the prop if you were happy with it...I will say that a good worked 25 tempest is one of the best props on that combo...and recheck that prop to pad...there are several posts on how to get it done on BBC boards...I did run mine about that high though, but its hard to tell from the pics...
    LD

11. Member
    I leveled the trailer, I measured the pad right below drain plug, then I leveled motor and measured to centerline of shaft. That measurement was 4" difference. Is that not the correct way? I'm trying to set it up with the Mazco I currently have the money in and I really think it is to low, it's slow to spool up and takes forever to get it on top and my rpms are in the 5's at wot coming out of the whole. I'm just trying to get some help finding out if I have any other options besides a hydraulic jp and if I did go with hydraulic what size would I need for my setup as the factory measures 11 1/4". I appreciate the help!

12. Member
    I know they're expensive but on my first gambler I bought a bobs 10" JP & messed around with different props until I found what my boat liked. The 25 tempest and a 26 bravo
    '01 Gambler DE Intimidator
    250 Merc Pro XB

hydraulic JP and problem solved...
    you will LOVE the advantages...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

The proper way to do it is to level the pad, not the trailer, and the pad on a gambler is kind of tricky because it is concave..A hydro plate would always be better, probably a 12 inch...You may just find your rig doesnt like the Mazco, in which case all the set up in the world wont make it a great wheel...
    LD

15. Member
    Thanks guys. Anyone know how a 25p trophy plus would do on my boat and bite the bullet and get hydraulic jp. Is hydro plate the brand name Idbass55??

16. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Get the Predator re-hubbed. They were a great prop.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

17. Member
    Re-hubbed Predator, Trophy Plus, or Tempest. All will work well with your setup.
    Gambler Outlaw 1900 SC
    Mercury Trophy 25P
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

18. Member
    You can post the Mazco over on Scream and Fly website and get good money for it. Go fast guys there will give you a good price for it. I just think it is not the best choice on a heavier hull like a Gambler.
    Gambler Outlaw 1900 SC
    Mercury Trophy 25P
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80