Quickdraw question.

Ok, I've read the manual and I've searched this forum but I can't find an answer so I'm gonna ask here. I went to Garmin Express and noticed the Quickdraw Contours Starter Map download. Nowhere in my manual can I find anything about having to do this to use Quickdraw. I thought I had to put the SD card into the unit and IT would copy the Starter Map, but it didn't. It ID'd the card, but then asked did I want to download the onboard lakeview map onto the card. The manual mentions using SD cards but I can't find where it states downloading this Quickdraw Starter Map or the reason for doing so. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but geez. Do you have to download the Starter Map on every SD card you are going to use in the unit before you can record on it? Thanks for the help!!
    Last edited by Randall53; 07-19-2017 at 11:00 PM.

2. Member
    I donno if this helps much.. But if i remember right, i put blank sd card in computer and went to garmin comunities.. Loged in and went to the quickdraw maps.. Then go to what ever map area you want, i believe its got blue dots you have to click to load those maps in that area.. Then after it loads you drag it to the uplad box.. One box is for downloading your maps and one box is for uploading.. I uploaded a whole lake and about 3 miles of river already..lol.. It only had a few lakes in my area that someone else had mapped out.. I guess most people dont upload theirs... I only upladed once so i cant remember exactly the steps...

Actually I'm wanting to make my own maps. To do that I don't know if you just use a blank SD card. If so, then I don't understand what the Quickdraw Contours Starter Map you can download off of Garmin Express is for. I was assuming you download the starter map on Express, then upload into the unit's onboard memory. But it didn't work that way. So, now I"m wondering if you download the starter map onto an SD card, then record you own lake onto that starter map. If that's the case, then you would have to have the starter map downloaded on every SD card you wanted to use to record your own map. Does that make sense? LOL I do know the manual is very vague on this issue.
    Last edited by Randall53; 07-19-2017 at 10:58 PM.

4. Member
    I never downloaded anything. Just went to the menu and Quickdraw and Start recording. Worked just fine. Each time you turn the unit on that you want to do mapping you have to turn it on. You don't have to do anything to reuse the mapping. Just leave the card in. It finds your quickdraw mapping automatically. That's how it worked for me.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I never downloaded anything. Just went to the menu and Quickdraw and Start recording. Worked just fine. Each time you turn the unit on that you want to do mapping you have to turn it on. You don't have to do anything to reuse the mapping. Just leave the card in. It finds your quickdraw mapping automatically. That's how it worked for me.
    Thanks. I finally found something about the Quickdraw Contours Starter Map. It's not even for the USA apparently:

The Quickdraw Contours Starter Map is the beginning point for creating your Quickdraw Contours. This free download contains shoreline for thousands of bodies of water across Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Scandinavia and western Europe.

In other words, an nothingburger.....I'm trying it like you do it tomorrow. thanks for the info!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    This is exactly the process I followed when using it. I was happy with the results, too.

Thanks for the help guys! I have a 16GB card I can use. From what I'm reading it will last a very long time.

8. Member
    if you go to Garmin communities u can download other peoples quickdraw maps and you can upload yours... Its good for those Lakes you dont fish much but other people do...

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    MSN, what area lakes around here are being done on Garmin???
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

10. Member
    Kincaid Lake is done.. I think Cotile lake is done.. I done over 3/4 of Buhlow Lake, But I need to make some more passes, but I probably wont fish there until closer till Fall or if River gets up again... I usually Fish the River behind Buhlow.. Which I have mapped alot of Bayou Rigollette (Road Gully) off of Oxbow and some of the oxbow... If you got to Garmin Communities and click on blue dots it will load the areas around that blue dot...

11. Member
    Im sorry, I keep saying Garmin Communities.. Its Called Garmin Connect... My bad

12. Member
    I just checked... Cotile Lake is not mapped... Part of Kincaid is... And if i could get time off i will probably do oxbow behind buhlow and river south to Bayou Maria.. Ive got bits a pieces knocked out already but my goal is getting most of it... Until next flood and it all changes...lol

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Gotcha....dont have an account but was able to log into it thru my google account and take a look at it......since i have lowrance i've been using the Insight Genesis to record and upload files.....did alot of what i see around here on Garmin......as you can see not a whole lot of people doing it so things will take a little while to fill in the gaps.....i mostly fish Saline/Larto so i do it when i go out there.....it is pretty cool to be able to get some type of mapping for our area that doesnt have anything.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

14. Member
    Yeah... I almost went lowrence but ended up garmin... Mainly because garmin makes maps as you go.. So i can cruz down a bayou or oxbow bank and turn around and see points or flats all on the same trip... But i like the lowrance because of the bluetooth/wifi.. Garmin i still have to take sd card out to upload or download maps on community. I thinlk thats wjy alot of garmin people don upload because its a pain in the but... So they just keep their maps to themselves...lol.. Both have ups and downs...

Quick Draw Starter maps is a waste of space. I downloaded it and installed it. But now i am trying to figure out how to delete them. I do ok recording my own contours. I thought I needed the starter maps but you don't.
    jbird68

Morrison, IL

2006 Alumacraft Navigator 165 CS
    2006 90 HP Mercury Optimax
    80# Minn-Kota Terrova w/ iPilot