Evinrude Ficht Battery Problems. Testing and replacing voltage regulator

Hey Bass Heads.

So I have a 2002 150hp Evinrude ficht. As many of you probably already know that motor has had many problems over the years. First I will explain my issue and then maybe you guys can shed light on what is actually wrong with it.

So my lowrance unit flashes when I start my motor. So I put the setting on so I could see what volts are coming from the battery. I have a big AGM battery 27 series that I purchased only a year ago. I brought it to battery's plus and they still said it was good. So I was like hmm.

When the unit is flashing its around 8.5 volts. Now that's after it was charged the night before and after only fishing for a little while. Then the volts will go up on the lowrance reading on the screen. It will go up to 10 something maybe and sometimes just stay in the 9 to 10 volts range. but I could not tell you the last time I saw 12 or 13 volts like it is supposed to be. So it's either the battery or the charging system. Can someone shed more light on this please.

thanks guys! :))

2. Member
    Does the outboard crank and start OK? If it does, I would think your battery is good. Then that leaves the circuit supplying the Lowrance unit. You may need to run a dedicated circuit for the Lowrance back to the battery. I would use 10 Ga. copper wire and fuse it (pos wire) at the battery with a 10 amp fuse. Also install the fuse that came with the Lowrance unit close to the unit.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I would place a multi meter on the cranking battery and monitor it from the post on the battery and really see what you have and not rely on the Lowrance providing an accurate reading. If your charging system is suspect contact DFI, CDI or marine computer repair and the EMM will need to be sent in for repair.

I agree with what Jumping Jimmy said the battery and engine are fine. The Lowrance unit is telling you that the voltage feeding the unit is the problem, there is no way that motor would start with less than 10.5 volts. You can try to find which connection's are bad or as Jumping Jimmy said run a line direct to the battery.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

5. Member
    Thanks for the help guys. I will take her out today and check right on the battery what I have for volts before and when I start the motor to see if it gets up into that 12 to 13 volt range. And I will see if I need to just run a dedicated line straight to the battery. Would 14 gauge wire seem okay to you? Or do I need to go with 10 gauge?

6. Member
    14 ga. would probably work but I would run 10 ga. The reason being you will have less voltage drop over the 10 ga. versus the 14 ga. This could be important later in the day when your main battery is a little low from running wells, electronics etc all day.