Adding compartment lights

How are folks adding lights and concealing wiring?

I see strip lights used a lot but I don't know how I'd use them. My compartments are all carpeted and the walls that divide the compartments are plywood with pretty rough/unfinished resin coating, not meant to be exposed.

I thought about installing strip lights on the inside lip of the hatches, there I can trim just enough carpet away to be able to use strip lights with the adhesive tap on back and stick it to bare aluminum, I thought that would stick pretty well.

I just don't want to have lights coming loose and hanging and looking like crap in a couple of months. Kind of lost for how to install them in an spot where you'll see it and want it to look good long term.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

I hid mine up under the lip of the compartment hatches (on inside, not gunwale side) and used the little rubber straps and screws they came with to fasten them. I didn't trust adhesive to work long term, and since they are under the lips you can't see them, only the light from the leds when turned on. Also fastened them under both consoles. I got mine at a home center, and they were meant for under cabinet lighting. Very cheap, enough to do all my compartments and under consoles for like $20. It came with a 12v dc transformer, so I just wired them to 12v power and did not use the transformer.

PM sent...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Thanks again for the offer to help, really appreciate it.

I know there are a lot of Blue Water supporters and installers, and I have some I'm using on mine as well, but I don't think they always have the best solution for every situation. I'm going to go with a small, rigid, epoxy sealed light bar from Oznium, FYI. It mounts with small brackets and screws, should work great for the plywood dividing walls between compartments. Two in each rod locker and two in the center compartment.

https://www.oznium.com/ultra-thin-light-bar
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

I used 11 mm 3 watt Oznium bolts for my livewells and storage compartments. Ran all the wiring up inside the gunwale and down under the seat. Totally hidden and looks factory. Really lights up the box's well.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Cast Everything in the Best Light Possible"

6. Member
    I did bluewater leds in mine. Look great. Ran all wires in dead space and wired to an existing compartment light. All runs from switch on dash for factory lighting. Mine is on a triton.