Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Purchasing a bass boat with cash in hand

Hi all!

I have been looking to purchase a bass boat for a few years now, and in that period of time, my tastes have changed from an aluminum bass boats to fiberglass bass boats...without ever actually owning either . The only stipulation that my wife gave me if that I must pay it off in cash, so that cannot change. I've projected that I'll have enough cash by Fall 2018.

I'm currently looking at Nitro Z18's which has an MSRP of about $29k + $1k prep/freight. Add in the Ultrex w/ ipilot, Helix 9 at the console and Helix 10 at the bow and I'm looking at around $35k.

How much room for negotiation will I have? I would love to pay around $30k cash, and cash-on-hand SHOULD give me a little more purchasing power, but I wanted to hear from you guys first and see what is worth negotiating and what isn't. I'm assuming if I can't negotiate on the sticker price of the boat, that I could at least negotiate on the electronics or trolling motor.

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Cash is the only way BBC members pay.

I don't know how much negotiating you can do if you are buying the Nitro from a Bass Pro Shop. What I did was research online and see what boats are going for at different locations and states. I bought from a local dealer and was able to get price down some, because of quotes I received from other dealers. Don't know if you will get 5k off, unless they are trying to move out a last years model boat.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

I thought there were other dealers that handle Nitros other than BPS

4. Banned
    Don't expect much of a discount and don't forget to add sales tax & registration fees. So if it cost $35k you better plan for $38k.

5. Member
    Depends on where you are buying it. If it's from bass pro, they don't negotiate, it's a corporate business not a garage sale, some people don't get that not everything is negotiable. Cash in hand with a corporation doesn't mean a thing to then as most of their transactions in love digital money (credit, checks, financing etc). Those places are also less likely to negotiate with cash since they want you to finance through them and end up paying more due to interest.

That being said, if it's a private dealer like a Marina, you should be able to drop them down a few grand. Might have to pay bundle price for electronics but install could be free, all depends on how you play the cards. They usually don't go down on accessories since there's less profit to be made there
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    Cash is the only way BBC members pay.

I don't know how much negotiating you can do if you are buying the Nitro from a Bass Pro Shop. What I did was research online and see what boats are going for at different locations and states. I bought from a local dealer and was able to get price down some, because of quotes I received from other dealers. Don't know if you will get 5k off, unless they are trying to move out a last years model boat.
    There are some smaller tracker dealers nearby, but I don't think they have any nitro's. I could probably special order one, but I would assume I wouldn't be able to haggle on a special order. Would that be a correct assumption?

I also would not be opposed to buy a last year's left over.

Why not find a nice year or 2 old one and skip the frills being as its your first boat and all. Spend 25k and out the rest into gear then once you find the limitations of the equipment the boat has upgrade it then. All that newfangled equipment may just be a distraction on your first boat and be assured its not necessary to catch fish. Its better to be able to find them the way 99% do anyway.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

8. Banned
    I would make plans to have it dressed out by the dealer or have something else linned up so you can have all your electronics and, poles if you are a pole man, with enough cash in hand. That way you are good to go. Get you some good insurance linned up with plenty of coverage on what you plan to store in your boat along with enough liability for tourneys, etc. After a few days when you get it you will be good to go. Had a friend who paid cash for a new boat and he came buy the day he picked it up and after a couple of minutes i asked, "where is your spare tire?". He said, they had to order one for it. What? Good luck on what ever you get because that will be the happiest day in a boat owners life except for the day he gets rid of it.

I would try and find a year old one. Save some money and you would be able to negotiate.

You'll get a lot more for your money if you look for one that's 1 or 2 years old. Boats are one of the worst depreciating things out there along with RVs. Getting a good used one will save you that huge hit.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Bought 2 from tracker/nitro good luck I'm sure someone here has but as for me I was able to get extra stuff like a boat cover water pressure gauge life jackets etc but as far a price and btw I paid cash for both on the last one a tracker $200 that's it and that was after 2 weeks of negotiations again good luck I bought 1 from bass pro and 1 from a local dealer
    2023 ranger 198p

12. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Most places want you to finance and not pay cash. Dealers get kickbacks from the finance companies. Funny thing my father in law actually just backed out of my driveway in his new expedition he just picked up. He said I'll pay you in cash if you come off another few grand to the dealer. They said we don't won't you to pay cash but we will do that and we will give you another $1,000 off if you finance it and you can pay it off when you get your first payment. They hope you will be late on payments or they eventually get to repo it. More money in that.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Hey cheaper than a new Corvette, was at Dealer yesterday getting wife's car out of shop. little north of $94,000.00 +

Post #5 Good Point! Dealers no matter what it is being Sold .. get a % of financing kickback, and CASH n Hand pays for item sold, but it don't add extra Gravy to there side of the sale, Yea they're GREEDY, and in reality nothing is really worth the High Prices.. Sad but True

Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Most places want you to finance and not pay cash. Dealers get kickbacks from the finance companies. Funny thing my father in law actually just backed out of my driveway in his new expedition he just picked up. He said I'll pay you in cash if you come off another few grand to the dealer. They said we don't won't you to pay cash but we will do that and we will give you another $1,000 off if you finance it and you can pay it off when you get your first payment. They hope you will be late on payments or they eventually get to repo it. More money in that.
    I did that on a truck thru gmac to get a rebate and my payoff penalty they didnt tell me about was as much as the rebate

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

15. Member
    From bps, you may be able to get some dealer upgrades thrown on for a discount but they not will come off the price for the base package.
    a buddy bought the same boat as mine from a private dealer and got his graphs upgraded. That's it.

as far as used, good luck finding a newer model z18 substantially reduced. Most folks are trying to get above nada for used rigs these days. Not sure if it's because they can't financing for new, but it seems the used boat market is strong now adays.

16. Member
    I'd consider one that was a year old. With a straight sale you could really get a good buy. Cash is King. Good luck.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Depends on where you are buying it. If it's from bass pro, they don't negotiate, it's a corporate business not a garage sale, some people don't get that not everything is negotiable. Cash in hand with a corporation doesn't mean a thing to then as most of their transactions in love digital money (credit, checks, financing etc). Those places are also less likely to negotiate with cash since they want you to finance through them and end up paying more due to interest.

That being said, if it's a private dealer like a Marina, you should be able to drop them down a few grand. Might have to pay bundle price for electronics but install could be free, all depends on how you play the cards. They usually don't go down on accessories since there's less profit to be made there
    I get it's not a garage sale, but I was able to get over 20 percent off on my Ford which is also a large corporation. It sounds like there are just lower margins on boats.

Unfortunately for me, local dealers don't have stock, and only the larger dealers have stock, but would be less willing to negotiate.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Why not find a nice year or 2 old one and skip the frills being as its your first boat and all. Spend 25k and out the rest into gear then once you find the limitations of the equipment the boat has upgrade it then. All that newfangled equipment may just be a distraction on your first boat and be assured its not necessary to catch fish. Its better to be able to find them the way 99% do anyway.
    I'm not entirely opposed to going used, but ideally I would like to get a leftover and get a few thousand off sticker price.
    I know I don't need all of the equipment, but If i start defining "need" vs "want" with my wife, she will have about 15-20 rods/reels out for a yard sale tomorrow.

19. Member
    i vote for the good used one or two year old with lots of warranty left. you can get more boat for your money. like others have explained they want your to finiance. a salesman told me once I don't care if you pay with cash I get 150$ if you fill out a finance paper. kinda stunned me when they would not even come close to doint anything upgrades or nothing for cash but I have since learned

20. Member
    If you're looking at buying new in fall 2018, that could be a 2019 model as a lot of dealers try to clear inventory after July 4. Keep track of how much the price increases this year (if it does) and add that percentage to your expected cost. I would imagine your amount of negotiation will depend on how much demand is your area.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast