Remote Drain Plug...

Has anyone installed one of these on their boat? How hard and is it worth it. Will be going on a 2012 PIV. Thanks

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I just don't trust those things. I seldom ever take my plug out, so I've no need for one.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

3. Member
    I have personally seen two fail, not in my boat either. I use the old-fashioned screw type. I am 69 years old and have no problem bending over, inserting the plug and tightening it up or removing it. Adding yet another cable-driven device that can fail seems problematic to me as this can really screw up a trip if it fails. KISS is a good principal to follow. :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

IMO stay with what BCB put there

5. Member
    I agree with the posters above, but to answer your question.......my buddy put one in his boat. It wasn't hard or expensive. He mounted the "switch" inside his bilge area (on a triton). Basically used a switch like your livewell open/close valve. It's been working for him for over a year.

6. Member
    leave ur plug in and turn ur bilge pump on when ur taking ur boat out of the water at the end of the day - works for me

7. Member
    Only problem I see is that in many states, towing with the plug in can get you a ticket.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

8. Member
    It's only something else mechanically that can fail. The only circumstance that I would consider one is if I had some type of disability where I could not crouch down and put a plug in by hand. I'm not so young anymore, but the plug comes out as soon as the boat comes off of the water.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbydaddy View Post
    leave ur plug in and turn ur bilge pump on when ur taking ur boat out of the water at the end of the day - works for me
    It may work, but it is a good way to get a ticket in some states. A great way to spread invasive's as well.

As far as the remote drains go, chance of mechanical failure will keep them off my boat for sure.

10. Member
    Several of us old farts have installed them with zero problems. It's hard on some folks to get down and crawl under their boats especially if it on gravel.

11. Member
    Installed one on my Ranger last year. Super simple install, have not had any issues. Nice not crawling under it to open the plug. You will love it.

12. Member
    I just got a dowl rod and cut a slot on one end. Now I don't have to reach under and I have a stick to pull weeds off the trailer.
    Last edited by Sbp; 07-23-2017 at 10:52 PM.