Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I think it's an out cry that you have taken a wild animal and pinned him up, and now trying to make him domesticated!!!!

He's a wild animal and should be released!! Enough with the Gibbs pictures and cute stories!!

2. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDD22 View Post
    ...I'm afraid of what might happen.... and sent email viruses to Hatcreek.
    As a wise man once said...

"Danny, see your future. Be... your future..."

Who controls John Gill?

A PVC pipe or galvanized culvert tunnel from house to enclosure might be the low cost/bloodshed answer.

Danny what happens if you go to the big Field away from the enclosure and Gibs gets lose of the harness? Is he close enough to you that he won't run off like some dogs will.... As for the pipe thing, I've never done it but I have seen two separate sets of pointers that couldn't hunt together without coming to bloodshed. Both sets of dogs hated each other which is weird for bird dogs. Neither could be penned up together, travel or anything. Guys took a 6ft chain thru a piece of pipe and chained them together so that they could just get close enough but not get to each other. Left them like that so they could talk it out. After about a week both sets dogs never had any problems again...I was amazed at that...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Danny what happens if you go to the big Field away from the enclosure and Gibs gets lose of the harness? Is he close enough to you that he won't run off like some dogs will.... As for the pipe thing, I've never done it but I have seen two separate sets of pointers that couldn't hunt together without coming to bloodshed. Both sets of dogs hated each other which is weird for bird dogs. Neither could be penned up together, travel or anything. Guys took a 6ft chain thru a piece of pipe and chained them together so that they could just get close enough but not get to each other. Left them like that so they could talk it out. After about a week both sets dogs never had any problems again...I was amazed at that...
    I "think" cats are little more hard headed than dogs.
    I'd leash him to a pole for awhile if I thought that he would fight it, "get it out of his system", and then be good with it. But, I don't think he would ever submit.
    Pretty sure it's just going to be a slow, tedious, process. Lots of treats involved and I'll use some of what all has been mentioned here.

I don't know if he would run off or not? I assume he would, just wanting to follow his nose and explore. If I have his attention, he listens. If his mind is on something else, he's deaf as a post.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    I think it's an out cry that you have taken a wild animal and pinned him up, and now trying to make him domesticated!!!!

He's a wild animal and should be released!! Enough with the Gibbs pictures and cute stories!!
    Pfffft....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerobinson View Post
    Try using some rope, run it through the loop on his collar and hold the 2 ends, when he gets upset just let one end go and there will be no need to unhook a snap, as far as the training, sounds like it will take a lot of time.
    Did your wife think of this? (I don't know any fisherman that are smart enough to come up with something like this on their own).
    That's BRILLIANT!!
    Really! That's just an awesome idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treker47 View Post
    Quick question--Is Gibbs fixed? If not that might be the first step to having a calmer, more trainable pet.
    Yes

9. Member
    This is what I use to train my retrievers. http://www.gundogsupply.com/wonleadbydel.html

There is a video on this site on how to use. PM me if you like and I will go over the process.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345