Vacuum sealing PFD Rearm Kits?

Hey guys, just figured i would see what you guys think about vacuum sealing your PFD rearm kits to keep in the boat? I started doing this this year because i had a PFD go off at random just sitting in the garage, and figured it would prolong the life of the bobbin when stored in the typically damp boat environment. Any thoughts?

Robert "Red" Barron
    2011 Tracker Pro Guide V-175WT
    2010 Mercury Optimax 115
    http://www.givin-er.com

2. Member
    Probably a great idea! I had my vest spontaneously blow up twice in the past year; once with the original that I hadn't changed in 6 yrs, then again with a fresh bobbin 10 months later!
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

I've already done that!
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

I considered this, but balked for two reasons. The first is that I've been under the impression that the little pill dissolving activates the mechanism due to a change in pressure. I may be wrong on that, but if not, I'm creating an enormous change in pressure when I vacuum seal that thing. When I open it, I'm doing it again.

The second is that I worry about condensation on the inside of the bag. Even though they're sealed up tight, the massive temperature swings my boat is subjected to will almost assuredly result in condensation in that vacuum sealed bag. I know they're not supposed to operate that way, but it makes me leery.

I'm probably being overcautious. The kit installed on my life jacket goes through some pretty gnarly conditions without going off unexpectedly. Either way, I just store my rearm kit in a closet in my house that stays basically the same temperature all the time. I've got other life jackets in the boat that I can wear until I'm able to get home and rearm if my inflatable goes off unexpectedly.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

DrewFlu33, I am pretty sure the dissolving pill reacts with water, similar to the little soy-based dissolving packing peanuts, only without the entrapped air that is present in the peanuts. On the second point, the vacuum sealing process will actually remove some amount of water from the package due to the low pressure practically "boiling" off the water vapor. There will still be some amount in there, but not as much as was originally present. I do agree, however, with the fact that keeping them indoors in a controlled environment is by far the best you can possibly do. I'm just super clumsy, and I prefer to have the inflatable on when I'm on the boat. I keep spares in the boat should the need arise as well.

Robert "Red" Barron
    2011 Tracker Pro Guide V-175WT
    2010 Mercury Optimax 115
    http://www.givin-er.com