Replacing the Trolling motor

I am getting my new-to-me 2016 Cougar on Monday and already have plans to modify it. I am replacing the MG X5 80lb (24v) with a MK 112 Ulrex. I already know my 3 lithium TM batteries fit in the BCB dual battery tray so there will not be any issues in the bilge. I believe I have to get a 60A fuse for the 112 also.

The big questions I have is on the installation.

Do I reuse the MG mounting holes or will it need a different angle off the bow for it to deploy/stow properly?

What is the best shaft length 45 or 54?

Any suggestions or help for installing the Ultrex?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Since your in Georgia we are going to suggest the 45". If you fish open water the 54" would be our suggestion, though you will fish as much shallow water.

The side plates in a MinnKota trolling motor remove and reveal the Motorguide mounting pattern on the bracket.

3. Member
    Nice SB!!! I think I've seen you on Toona a few times with your current Cat. I'm probably the only guy in the Atlanta area with an Eyra :)

4. Member
    On my BassCat Puma, the passenger side rod box would not open with the longer shaft trolling motor stowed. I fish open water a lot and was sick of my trolling motor coming out of the water but could not go longer and still open the rod box.

5. Member
    As said above, the longer shaft gets in the way of the rod locker lid. Even the 45" shaft (actually 48") if pulled up for shallow water will get in the way of the lid. You're Motorguide holes will line up with the Ultrex holes, but you will need to remove the right side plate.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]