Water Pump Mercury 1998 EFI 200 SN# 0G750902

I replaced the water pump kit in my 1998 Mercury 200 EFI SN: 0G750902 and now the water pee hole is not peeing at all. Motor starts and goes in gear and prop turns. I have tried both water muff and hose at motor connection. I did let the motor run for about 3 or 4 minutes before I got nervous and turned it off. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Member
    see any water coming out on top of cav plate around anodes if so hose may be stopped up/if not take it back off something wrong
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Hey thanks for the reply. I took it back apart and put it back together and it is working now.
    Not sure what I fixed. I understand that if the thermostats don't open then water will not come out of the pee hole.

4. Member
    I just read your reply JOE54 and I do still see water coming out around the anodes. Is this a problem?

How hard was that lower unit to drop? Did you use a jack or stand of any type? Preparing to tackle the same job in the upcoming future on a 175 hp - just curious as to how your experience went.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

6. Member
    Hez, It really was not that hard of a job. The lower unit did take some force and shaking to get it to let loose but did not have to use anything to pry it off with. I used a plastic milk crate with a blanket in it(very crude but efficient) to set my lower unit in while I was changing internal parts. The hardest part is lining up the splines into the engine and the gear shift but not as hard as I thought. U-Tube has some great tutorials to watch before you get started.

Quote Originally Posted by ragraves View Post
    Hez, It really was not that hard of a job. The lower unit did take some force and shaking to get it to let loose but did not have to use anything to pry it off with. I used a plastic milk crate with a blanket in it(very crude but efficient) to set my lower unit in while I was changing internal parts. The hardest part is lining up the splines into the engine and the gear shift but not as hard as I thought. U-Tube has some great tutorials to watch before you get started.
    Yeah - I have changed LU on smaller engines (30 HP)...so I understand the lining up the splines part being the most difficult lol - just wondering if the extra weight of a bigger LU made it that much more difficult. I like the idea of a milk crate lol

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

8. Member
    youll see water at anodes first when on a hose
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Thanks. Love the support from this site. Thanks JOE54

10. Member
    It is not to heavy but it is awkward to hold. I have a nice bruise on my arm now.

11. Member
    yes sir welcome