Worm rod / Jig rod action, taper ?

A friend has offered to build me a couple of custom rods. He orders his stuff from mudhole. I've never had one built before. Opinions on the following?

For casting 7.5-10 " worms 10-18ft deep:
    looking at a HM-MB843-MHX 7ft Med Hvy fast
    looking at a HM-P844-MHX 7ft Med Hvy extra fast

I've normally fish the Med Hvys. Not sure which taper would be better suited. I'm also a little undecided on whether I should bump the
    length up to 7ft 3in. Looking at the split winn grips, and Fuji alconite guide.

For casting Jigs:
    looking at a HM-MB844-MHX Hvy fast

I'd go with the HM-MB843-MHX for the worm rod if it were me. But it's all in what you like. I'm not very familiar with the popping rods blanks like the P844. I built a rod on the HM-873 last year that I really enjoy. I use it for dragging football heads and worms and it has good feeling when dragging. It is a 7' 3" rod if you do want that extra bit of length.

873 for worms and 874 for jigs. What were you thinking on doing with the popping rod?

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    873 for worms and 874 for jigs. What were you thinking on doing with the popping rod?
    SO that's what the P stands for.
    I was just considering an extra fast taper vs fast taper for worms. So I guess the HM-MB843-MHX is better suited?

For jigs I guess the heavy fast would be better suited?

I like the 843. I have built several for plastics. Nice rods.

6. Member
    IMO popping rods do not make for a good casting rod. Spinning rod yes. They typically don't have as much power in the bottom half of the blank as a comparably rated MB blank.

They make decent blanks for lighter topwater/jerk baits but I wouldn't pick them over several others foe that purpose (popping blanks) is stick with the mb taper and fast actions for single hook applications like bass fishing with jigs and soft plastics. Hm models are a touch more sensitive and more expensive

8. Member
    The P844 rod blank is a medium action crankbait/trap rod.
    The MB843 or MB873 is for plastics.
    The MB844 or MB874 is for jigs.

9. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    mb843mhx is a great blank. cant go wrong with it. the 844 is a bit stiff at the tip for my uses