Thread: flywheel mark

flywheel mark

Qucik question. i am putting the flywheel on my new powerhead on my 2.5l merc 200l carb engine ser#0t555349. the there is a painted mark on the top of the flywheel on one tip. at top dead center is that mark suposed to be pointing at #1 cylinder? or better yet how do i determine the exact position of the flywheel when i put it down on the crankshaft? once i get the flywheel set right then i can back up from top dead center to the .462 mark. just wondering how to get flywheel and top dead center timed correct. thanks.

2. Member
    Is the mark on a sticker? I thought flywheels were keyed, as in they only fit in one position, but I am just guessing from what I have read. If it's a sticker you can get another sticker or mark it with paint once it on the motor. You will have to perform a complete link n sync which includes setting top dead center on #1 cylinder. The procedure is completely outlined in the service manual and requires a dial indicator and timing light and other tool.

3. Member
    Boy, every one I have touched was keyed. It is possible you knocked it loose (or it was sheared cleanly). Look at the flywheel and find the machined slot. Still got a piece of the key stuck? Remove it, plus the piece in the crank (if still there) and then replace. if the key is in the crank, you can tap it on the top or bottom to loosen it. I usually replace when I remove the flywheel anyway, just on general principals.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Look at the splines on the crank and inside the flywheel. There is one fat tooth. It will drop right on when you match the teeth.

5. Member
    well the crankshaft does have a wide key groove. it is just wide enough for 2 of the flywheel gear teeth to fit exactly into it. however; just my luck; the flywheel which is on my motor does not have a groove or large tooth or key mark. it is geared the same all the way around. so i found tdc then i aligned the 0 degree mark on the outside of the flywheel with the center of the sight window and pointer, then backed off to .462. the motor runs but seems a little sluggish. i think i may be just one notch off with the placement of the flywheel and have probably got the timing retarded slightly. i am gonna move it one notch back counterclockwise and see how that does. thanks.

6. Member
    is it a lightweight flywheel(16amp)?never seen a merc. flywheel without a matching mate to the crank.post up a pic if at all possible.