Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar

Rt198 in tournaments?

I've seen quite a few 198p's in the BFL'S. Just wondering if it's enough boat to compete in the Costa's, or the bass opens? I know Jon cox runs a crestliner pt20, but I've never seen one in person to compare it to a rt198p. Thanks.

2. Member
    There normally held on larger bodies of water which might make it a little rough at times but as long as it passes all safety regs and required equipment. I don't see an issue
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

Heck yes they're enough of a boat!

4. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Heck yes they're enough of a boat!
    My man, I'm a kakay guy, a short kayak guy at that (5'5") and I really think this boat would fit me, and my fishing style perfectly! I just don't want to get it, to find out i don't have enough boat to compete on a bigger circuit.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I agree with Rangerguy that the Costas and Bass Opens are held on some bodies of water that can get very, very rough. The 198 would be one of the smallest and lightest boats there, plus even in the mid 50s speed wise you'd be somewhat handicapped. I have run a lot of 18 and 19 foot bass boats, but I wouldn't spend the entries, travel expenses, food and lodging expenses, and so forth to fish in tournaments where my equipment had me handicapped from the get-go. It costs many thousands to fish events at those levels; you might be better off buying a 3 or 4 year old boat big enough to be comfortable on large tournament waters in less than ideal conditions. Having the smallest boat in the field can be like taking a knife to a gun fight.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I agree with Rangerguy that the Costas and Bass Opens are held on some bodies of water that can get very, very rough. The 198 would be one of the smallest and lightest boats there, plus even in the mid 50s speed wise you'd be somewhat handicapped. I have run a lot of 18 and 19 foot bass boats, but I wouldn't spend the entries, travel expenses, food and lodging expenses, and so forth to fish in tournaments where my equipment had me handicapped from the get-go. It costs many thousands to fish events at those levels; you might be better off buying a 3 or 4 year old boat big enough to be comfortable on large tournament waters in less than ideal conditions. Having the smallest boat in the field can be like taking a knife to a gun fight.
    Yeah, that's the main concern I have also. I'm sure I'd be fine on smaller water, it's the big water/waves I'd be worried about. I know in the 80's they ran 18' boats with 150hp motors on the same water they run bigger rigs on now, and they were fine then. But your right about being handicapped from the start with a smaller rig. Thanks for the input.

BFL's, Costa's...opens..all held on the same lakes in Texas...dont know about your water, but places like Toledo Bend and Rayburn get about as rough as anywhere in the country under the right conditions. In those kinds of conditions, most are running no where near 50mph.. A pad boat such as the RT198p driven within its limitations can go anywhere most other boats can go. Might take a little longer, but it can be done.

1st classic was on lake mead...in like 16 foot rangers with a narrow beam....doesn't get much rougher than mead.
    Last edited by dean c; 07-19-2017 at 04:06 PM.

8. Banned
    I'm pretty sure these high end series have a minimum boat requirement. Length and hp for safety reasons. I'm sure that tin 19 ft would be fine for club type tournaments or even fishing those larger lakes when the conditions are good, but in a high end tournament where you have the chance to win big money is going to affect ones judgment and will head out when that boat has no business being on the water. Just me....

9. Member
    I came out of a Cougar into a RT188 almost a year ago. Not long ago I made a post over in the tin forum about staying out on KY Lake after the wind got up. It gets really nasty around Paris Landing. I consider myself pretty good on rough water, cut my teeth on Santee Cooper in a 17 footer back in the 80's. I got back but I was far from dry, no spears or anything but wet. It was a long 25 mph run my friend. The 198 is bigger and has a little more freeboard, it's FAR from a 21 foot glass boat!! Can you do it, you bet! Can you stand up there in those rollers on a drop then make a 40 mile run back? Those guys might have 30 mins fishing time on you. That extra few inches of deck space counts in those conditions. Things to consider.

I dont fish tournaments. I could fish small ones in my RT. For me it's doing everything I need. For those big trails I'd look for something bigger. The Cougar was my only 20'er. I fished local and regional tournaments for decades out of 17-18' glass boats. The 20 and 21's were normally my team deals for tournaments. They are pure luxury compared to 18's.

Just fish smaller tournaments. Pick and choose your lakes.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

11. Member
    i don't think the PT 20 is that more expensive, it's a little bigger
    Stigma for 21' w/250 is ...... I digress - off topic
    Last edited by Gthunter5; 07-20-2017 at 05:40 AM.

12. Member
    Steve Kennedy kicked people's butts and won a lot of money years ago fishing out of a 16' Aluminum Bass Tracker with a giant 40 hp motor on the back.

I think people put too much emphasis on gear. There are a lot of people who drop $80,000 on a boat stocked with more electronics than a nuclear submarine, fill it with limited edition Japan market rods/reels and the latest in lures, yet couldn't catch a starving piranha if they flipped a bloody ribeye steak in front of it.

I agree with Gthunter5, it's a stigma that it's impossible to compete in anything less than a 21' boat with a 250. Is it more comfortable fishing out of a 21'er? Sure. Can you compete at a high level in a 18' or 19' boat? Sure.

There will be limitations, if you're running Santee or Erie that 21' boat will handle it better than an 18'er, that said an idiot that doesn't know how to handle a boat can screw up the ride of that 21'er.

Most of the limitations will be in your head. There are people on this forum who are still stunned that Kennedy still uses Greenie Curados, or was fishing the Elites out of a 10 year old boat. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian...

13. Banned
    You fish out of what you want to fish out of. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are more 18-19' boats than there are 20'+ boats in the BFL's I fish. Same with the Costa series. Just plan accordingly if the weather isn't on your side. Anything can get swamped and sink. BFL on Kerr last year had 40+ MPH winds. Four 20-21' boats sank. The guy that won that tournament never left the launch creek. I've had my ass handed to me on Norman by a guy in a john boat.

It ain't the boat, never has been. It's the person in it.

14. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    Steve Kennedy kicked people's butts and won a lot of money years ago fishing out of a 16' Aluminum Bass Tracker with a giant 40 hp motor on the back.

I think people put too much emphasis on gear. There are a lot of people who drop $80,000 on a boat stocked with more electronics than a nuclear submarine, fill it with limited edition Japan market rods/reels and the latest in lures, yet couldn't catch a starving piranha if they flipped a bloody ribeye steak in front of it.

I agree with Gthunter5, it's a stigma that it's impossible to compete in anything less than a 21' boat with a 250. Is it more comfortable fishing out of a 21'er? Sure. Can you compete at a high level in a 18' or 19' boat? Sure.

There will be limitations, if you're running Santee or Erie that 21' boat will handle it better than an 18'er, that said an idiot that doesn't know how to handle a boat can screw up the ride of that 21'er.

Most of the limitations will be in your head. There are people on this forum who are still stunned that Kennedy still uses Greenie Curados, or was fishing the Elites out of a 10 year old boat. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian...
    Thanks for your insight, I love reading everyone's responses, and opinions. Thanks guys!!!

15. Member
    Before my dad got his new boat, when I was younger we fished out of a 18ft starcraft aluminum diy bass boat
    We took that in some seriously rough water and always felt safe in it vs bass boat. Maybe the lund pro v bass is a way to go? Anyone have one can shed some light on its performance in rough conditions?
    keep your lines wet! God bless