Thread: ? for Don

? for Don

I have a 1995 Allison XB2003 with a 1995 mercury 225 promax efi. I was on the allison page the other day reading about the new uflex steering kits. Someone said I should talk to Don about these. I'm going to get new steering soon and I am on the fence as to which one to buy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hasn't Darris/Allison already tested,and is selling/stocking the Uflex/Mercury steering cylinder ? I have read all those uflex/seastar threads,I just have never myself,experienced the issues ppl. claim with the 5345 cyl. Guess I am lucky,or maybe because I have the seastar bleeding machine ,and keep mine tight and bled out. but the 5345 works fine on my xb2003,and 2 other faster boats,which i have. I just dont buy the hype,for needing anything beefier,unless you constantly run on the wire,(which a 225pmax isn't gonna' be doing),then string steer is for you. But ,if you can afford the HD version,then I would always say,bigger is better,GL and play safe,,love them Ally's
    Last edited by cajunrgfm; 07-20-2017 at 03:58 AM.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Strongly recommend the Mercury Branded U-flex. Rhonda keeps at least one in stock- just drop her an email and she will set you up!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    Hasn't Darris/Allison already tested,and is selling/stocking the Uflex/Mercury steering cylinder ? I have read all those uflex/seastar threads,I just have never myself,experienced the issues ppl. claim with the 5345 cyl. Guess I am lucky,or maybe because I have the seastar bleeding machine ,and keep mine tight and bled out. but the 5345 works fine on my xb2003,and 2 other faster boats,which i have. I just dont buy the hype,for needing anything beefier,unless you constantly run on the wire,(which a 225pmax isn't gonna' be doing),then string steer is for you. But ,if you can afford the HD version,then I would always say,bigger is better,GL and play safe,,love them Ally's
    You may not "buy the hype" as you call it but I have had both systems and the U-Flex is light years ahead of the Seastar cylinder. I have had experience with both. No hype here, just facts.

5. Member
    Didn't a coulple guys take them back off and put the 6345's back on? Seems like I read that somewhere.

I had a 6345 on my 2003 and a 5345 on my bullet. I can't tell any steering performance or longevity difference whatsoever

I thought about going tk the uflex as my cylinder is starting to leak a little and nears seals , but it seems like I didn't follow it anymore because I thought I remebered reading people were swapping them back out to 6345's onnallisons

6. Member
    I called uflex today and asked them what model I needed for my boat. They asked what kind of boat and motor I had and how fast it would go. I told them I had an allison with a 225 and that once I learned to drive it it should do 90.
    They told me to find another brand that their kits were only rated up to 75mph. Well...I don't think the guy on the phone knew what he was talking about.
    Last edited by big_o_tom; 07-22-2017 at 02:10 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    Didn't a coulple guys take them back off and put the 6345's back on? Seems like I read that somewhere.

I had a 6345 on my 2003 and a 5345 on my bullet. I can't tell any steering performance or longevity difference whatsoever

I thought about going tk the uflex as my cylinder is starting to leak a little and nears seals , but it seems like I didn't follow it anymore because I thought I remebered reading people were swapping them back out to 6345's onnallisons
    I had the 6345 cylinder on my Allison for many years. I will definitely stay with U-flex.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I can tell you that in the 15 years I've been using this cylinder design, I have replaced ONE (1) of them. That one was bent (engine either over-trimmed or struck something driving the engine upward and bending the rods).

Odd part- it still didn't leak. And it still worked... just bent all to heck.

There are other good cylinders- I've just had VERY good results with this particular cylinder, especially in the high-duty and demands of higher-speed applications.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    What model do you have?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    What model do you have?
    Perhaps I was unclear... I install these for my Customers. As of this moment... I'm boatless.