Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Yes but only certain trails
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    I got a RT188 two weeks ago cause we are building a house in a neighborhood known for the fishing in the pond (several pros have made shows in it) and I wanted something for when I'm in between my new Bass Cat each year also. I had never been within 100' of a RT 188. When I first laid eyes on it when the guy pulled up I was like dang this is pretty nice. Took it out last weekend fishing to try it out and honestly on the way home I thought to myself why the &#%* am I tying up 60k in a boat every year when this thing did whatever I needed it to. Only drawback is Just can't get everywhere quite as quick. Put two touch 9's on it and have an Ultrexx on the way for it. One of the most memorable tournaments I've ever had was due to fishing in my dads 17' G3 with a 70HP Yamaha. Came in 3rd by myself in a big tournament. My nitro was back at the factory for repairs, my buddy couldn't fish. Called my old partner, he said I'm not fishing out of a Jon boat. It's gonna blow 30 on Saturday. Had a 12 volt trolling motor so I had a spare battery in the floor. I had a little over 18#'s, missed winning by 1/2# and had a fish at the boat to do it also. But the most gratifying and memorable thing about that tournament was the looks before take off and the looks when I was pulling the fish out of the well in front of all the guys with 60-70k rigs and jerseys on.
    I won a BFL last year in a 175 tracker with a 50 Mercury. Top speed was a total 28 mph. Won by 4 1/2 pounds over 2nd place. There is nothing wrong with the tin boats in tournaments.

3. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar

Mark Menendez won a elite series event at Dardanelle with a 17' 70hp tin boat!!! No more questions, I'm definitely getting this boat!!!

The room, storage, speed and fishability would not concern me. In some areas aluminum is an advantage.

The only thing that would concern me about fishing tournament and HAVING to fish no matter the rough water in an aluminum boat is stress cracks. Xpress went to .125 aluminum in their boats that have over about 115 HP like the X19. The added weight of the 150 and increase in torque and speed and the punishment to the hull and transom take in rough seas concerns me. There have been MANY other boats and manufacturers that have had trouble with the transom areas when they went to the 150 and above horsepower motors. Xpress has been building these aluminum boats long time and I believe there is a reason they decided to go to the increased .125 thickness. That is a lot of increase in strength.

I think you are fine with a 115HP and the weight, torque and speed and the weight increase when trailering through potholes......there are a lot of boats made with the .100 and 115 motors. At some point I think you have to decide if it is wise to go to a thicker aluminum. On a tournament, you have paid the money, have a partner and you HAVE to go. You can't look out at the wind and decide to stay home. Also most people don't have a manufacturer as a sponsor that will give you a new boat if that one fails.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

5. Member

coosta and opens

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonHaske View Post
    I've seen quite a few 198p's in the BFL'S. Just wondering if it's enough boat to compete in the Costa's, or the bass opens? Thanks.
    ranger aluminum not eligible for ranger cup money in those tournaments , bfl's are good to go per ranger cup web site

6. Member
    in a recent lake Okeechobee john cox ran across the main lake with huge waves and made it to where he wanted to fish and made final 12 , it really depends on who is behind the wheel, experience is every thing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123