1994 25 horsepower compression questions

I'm selling a good running 25. It's tiller steer electric start and they seem to be pretty sought after. Pushes my Jon boat 28 mph consistently and even hit over 30 in colder weather.

Had a guy come by today to buy it and passed on it. He checked compression by pulling the rope a few times (no battery). The top cylinder read 121 and the bottom 132. He said it shouldn't be over 5 psi difference and that the top cylinder must have work rings. Offered me $300 less than asking price.
    Is this dude fishing for a steal or is there something wrong with my motor? It runs perfect and always starts on one or two pulls or a hit of the switch.
    After some research I'm reading 10% is the acceptable difference. If my math is correct then it is within range.

2. Member
    have you checked it,prob had 122 and 121 he might need glasses, usually a 25 wont idle for crap if cyl is bad ,pull port covers off of stbd side and look in cyls for marks JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I'm gonna check it with the starter. I got a battery tonight to do it and the damn ignition button isn't working. Gotta fix that now too. It idles great. I actually sold my other 25 horse Mariner last week and this Mercury idles much better.

4. Member
    prob just fine good luck
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    And I have always heard a difference of 10% or less between cylinders.